Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Black gun rant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Black gun rant

I have a black gun. A snot stocked 338 Lapua with a Bi-Pod. Does that count???
Old 03-31-2013, 07:12 PM

Re: Black gun rant

This thread has been running a long time and there are a lot of posts. I will admit to skipping three or four pages in the middle but there seems to be one point that has not been made. First, a little about me. I am older--75 to be exact. I like wood and blued steel. I am partial to lever and bolt actions. I do not buy guns to hang on the wall or to display in my armory where I conduct guided tours. I buy guns to shoot. I also like kids, mine and others.

I believe there is a serious opportunity being missed to educate a good-sized piece of the public. I do have automatic weapons to include AK an AR models. They are in my collections because kids (teenagers) were interested in them. I provided the guns, the ammunition, and the care needed to maintain the guns. I shot enough to become familiar with their operation and needs. I left iron sights on them and put scopes on them. On the traditional semi-autos I left the notch rear sight on them. When I get an expression of interest I try to get them to the range. This provides a good opportunity to educate them on a lot of things like range protocol and consideration of others. That's as far as some choose to go.

For others I have a nice collection of 22LR guns. Not expensive but representative of what is available. Here they get a dose of the remainder of my beliefs. If things go right a good gun citizen proceeds to enjoy the sport and introduce others to the sport. It does work because girl friends and running mates come back with them to get an introduction to weapons and shooting.

I load a lot of plinking ammo in 38 Special. It provides a really good intro to centerfire handguns and I really like the old Bullseye loads and round holes of wadcutters. It also does a fine job of turning rocks into gravel.

I also think stretching the range on 22LR is fun. I get a lot more long range shooting, relatively, with the 22s because it is difficult to find 1000 yard ranges here in Texas. The local ranges are limited to 100 yards.

Anyway, when I look at what is going on in Washington right now, the last thing I want to do is have someone with even a little interest in guns discouraged. Far better to help them realize the consequences of what they are doing and showing them how to enjoy the sport and not offend or bother others using a facility.

For what it's worth,

John