Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

Black gun rant

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #78  
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgun View Post
Absolutely.........but, since we can't read the mind of the black rifle guy that GG talks about, we can't know if he even realized what he was doing.....can we???? Now, if we know for certain that he was TRYING to spray GG's equipment, then he needs a butt kicking!!
It makes no difference if they were aware or not it is still there responsibility to not interfere or injure others, pure and simple.
Definitely their responsibility to be aware.
__________________
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
I'm very sorry for you if you see things the way that Nonya does. I wouldn't advertise it much!

Obviously, your moniker denotes what starts your engine. You have full auto guns. Good for you! I knew the minute you posted with a name like buzzgun, you were going to get fired up about my thread. But I don't care. I'm not here to make friends with that group of shooters just like they are usually not at the range to further precision accuracy or learn anything. They just like to hear their guns go off and that's fine. All I ask is to do it in a safe manner away from other's and their equipment. It sounds like that is not a problem for you and that is good.

Didn't say I see things as Nonya does, don't recall ever reading any of his posts other than this thread, just said I agreed with him that your initial post came across as arrogant...... doesn't mean I agree with him about anything else.....I couldn't say since I know nothing about him.

As far as what "starts my engine".......I enjoy all types of shooting......one of my favorites is long range shooting, not to the level that you practice it, but not everyone has the facilities or opportunities that you enjoy......and, NO, I'm not one of those Rambo wannabes.......I enjoy shooting "black rifles", but I'm not one of those weekend commandos......in fact, most of those type guys I see are shooting "sniper rifles" on our 600 yard range and can't hit squat......but that's another story.......personally, I enjoy everything from air rifles to 50 bmg and up......in fact I REALLY would like to have a big black powder cannon!!!

I guess the bottom line is, don't judge a person based on what they brought to the range that day.......and don't assume that you are a more dedicated shooter because the stuff you have on your bench today is worth more than the stuff they have on the bench today.......they might have WAY more money invested in the equipment they left at home.....and, even if they don't, dedication isn't based on how much money a person spends on equipment.

Last edited by buzzgun; 07-27-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
It makes no difference if they were aware or not it is still there responsibility to not interfere or injure others, pure and simple.
Definitely their responsibility to be aware.
I absolutely agree, 100%......
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 07-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 718
I'll admit I skipped the middle 5 pages of rant but to address your initial issue. Why not have the range install mesh screens between benches. There are quite a few of those around here and that seems to work well. I guess the next rule is to ban everyone with less than a $3000 rifle.... they must not be worthy of shooting.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
dwm dwm is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 616
I have had "HOT" 223 cases go down my shirt from the guy one or even two benches down, no fun!

You could subtley sugget to the black gun guys that they put a rag over the ejection port.

Fired cases will fall right on the bench beside them. Works great.

Someone made this suggestion to me one time, now I shoot the black gun that way all the time. I do like to keep my brass and that makes it easy. I have to say the black gun hasn't gotten much use lately though.

What I get a kick out of is when they go, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, between rounds that I fire. I may fire two, maybe three rounds to their 20 round mag ...keep shootin till its empty. (all I can think of is wow, that throat must be hot.)

But then I can also hear the guys at the pistol range shooting as fast as they can to empty their weapon also. I sometimes wish I could afford that much ammo, or have someone else pay for it.

Too bad the 50 yd range is to the left where I shoot, otherwise I would chose that spot everytime after reading this ...
__________________
doug
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: on the rifle range in Utah
Posts: 2,723
Rant: part two

Well, at the risk of offending more black gun enthusiasts, I thought I would type up the rant: part two.

Four days after the "incident", I'm at the same range with the same guns on a non-public day. I was there most of the morning and afternoon and I only had one visitor all day. And guess who it was, a black gun shooter! Luckily, I had set all my gear up on the farthest left bench "just in case" so flying brass was not going to be a problem. But there was another problem. This particular shooter seemed to posess the other all too common problem some of these types have. A lack of awareness as to where their bullets go AFTER they hit their target.
You see, I had four rather expensive windflags set up (all out of the line of fire of course on the left side of the range) that are very obvious and easy to see. I know this shooter saw them as he asked what they were and why I use them. After a brief explanation of them, this shooter began to get setup to shoot his gun.
Well, he walked out to 25 yards (on the 100 yard RIFLE range) and set up a glass bottle on top of the cement target holder in the ground. Then he walked back to the bench and popped in a 30 round magazine and began to spray the ground in front of us. Now, I don't think our range was designed for glass targets, and I'm pretty sure that craters in the concrete target holders will not go over well with the city who owns and built the range. And I'm absolutely certain that I did not enjoy my windflags getting peppered with richocets! After his little "burst" of ammo, I told him that what he just did probably wasn't very good. He asked, "why". He seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that bullets damage things and go downrange on unintended trajectories after coming in contact with the ground. Well, after I tought this guy a little about proper range etiquette and terminal ballistics, he asked some other questions that showed me by their vary nature that he really had no idea what he was doing. He bought this rifle 'cause it was "cool" and proceeded to shoot it before learning anything about it like a 16 year old girl comprehends mechanical aspects of the car she's driving.
Was it a coincidence that this shooter's first gun was an AR15 and so oblivious as to the damage he was causing? Perhaps. But why then did I guess something was going to go wrong that day as soon as I saw him pull out a black gun? I'm not psychic. I just made an educated guess. Did I pre-judge him? You bet. Is is unfair? Maybe. But it is something everyone does. If your walking down a dark alley at night and you see a tatted up fella in black leather and a whiskey bottle in one hand, you don't think, "gee, there's a nice guy who I should set up with my sister". You put one hand on your gun or pepper spray and walk the other way without making eye contact.


Now I know those of you who are now linked over from the black gun forums are really getting boiled and are probably forgetting about the glass bottle and the concrete hits and just cussing me for having wind flags out downrange. Well, this is MY game. I use windflags. And they have never been hit by bolt gun shooters. Ever. Coincidence? Maybe. But one thing is for sure. A 100 yard rifle range is built with the target frames 3 to 6 feet above the ground for a reason. That is the intended line of fire for centerfire rifles. If you want to shoot the ground at less than that yardage, you should go over to the handgun range or rimfire range or run the risk of damaging property that doesn't belong to you and having to pay for it. If there are no other ranges, then you should be aware of your line of fire and perhaps set up a short range target that is at least as high off the ground as the bench is. Had this fella done that, he would have been in compliance with all the range rules.

Before I end this post, I would like to admit that this shooter was not a bad guy. He was actually quite personable and polite. He was a stand up person. He was just doing what he had learned from his buddies or saw in movies. It can happen to any kind of shooter. My point is that it just seems to happen in the semi-auto club more than others. But he is now a safer shooter and more aware of his bullets and possibly even his brass!
__________________
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: on the rifle range in Utah
Posts: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgun View Post

As far as what "starts my engine".......I enjoy all types of shooting......one of my favorites is long range shooting, not to the level that you practice it, but not everyone has the facilities or opportunities that you enjoy......personally, I enjoy everything from air rifles to 50 bmg and up.......
Me too. As I said earlier, I enjoy shooting black guns. Almost all my buddies have them and so does my uncle. I used one to kill one of my first p-dogs at 500 yards. If it goes boom, I like it. Because of this, I know most of the aspects of all the guns used and know what their downsides are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzgun View Post
I guess the bottom line is, don't judge a person based on what they brought to the range that day.......and don't assume that you are a more dedicated shooter because the stuff you have on your bench today is worth more than the stuff they have on the bench today.......they might have WAY more money invested in the equipment they left at home.....and, even if they don't, dedication isn't based on how much money a person spends on equipment.

I disagree with you on something in this paragraph. But before I get into that, I want to make it perfectly clear that I never meant that AR shooters aren't dedicated. My three gun/tactical buddies ARE VERY dedicated. They travel even farther than I do to compete in their matches and blow through way more ammo than I do at every one of them.

NOw, a dedicated shooter may or may not have lots of his gear at the range and it isn't a good indicator of how dedicated he is 100% of the time. However, if he has enough there to convince me that he knows what he is doing, then I would consider him dedicated and anyone who is dedicated themselves would know this because they would have had to be just as dedicated to recognize it. In other words, if I didn't know who Tony Boyer was, and saw him at the range with just a .22 lr and he was plinking, I wouldn't know if he was dedicated or not but it wouldn't matter becuase I would treat him with COURTESY. But if he was at the range and had a chronograph set up, cleaning gear, reloading gear, wind flags, a custom rifle and pedestal, I would be willing to bet he is pretty dedicated because I have the same gear and I'm dedicated. Therefore, I would be COURTEOUS to him and be even more CONSCIENTIOUS about what I was doing around him. In other words, if I was shooting a semi-auto, I would make sure I wasn't sending brass into his scope lenses and richoceting bullets into his windflags because I would have a harder time replacing a $2100 March scope and $300 worth of windflags than a $200 Ruger 10-22 had I damaged something. Make sense?
__________________
Find it
Range it
Click it
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Black gun rant
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gun shows RANT !! James Jones General Discussion 17 08-28-2014 07:54 PM
Rant - Why no pics? TORCHRIDER Guns For Sale 17 04-03-2011 09:57 PM
Big Rant royinidaho General Discussion 9 03-20-2010 07:37 AM
Mr. Roy's Rant royinidaho General Discussion 2 05-20-2006 01:54 PM
Hair (rant mode on) Dave King General Discussion 6 07-31-2004 01:44 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 32.03%
74 Votes
NO - 51.08%
118 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.88%
39 Votes
Total Votes: 231
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC