Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Bipods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 08:17 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bipods

I know your most likely talking about mounted systems, but thought I would throw this in as I have fouind it to work pretty well.

Since we do several types of hunting, I have several rest systems that I employ. The most versitle so far has been the Stoney Point Polecat Rapid Pivot System. It has a detachable mount which is mounted to the front swivel post on your rifle which allows you to set it atop of the bi-pod legs for a really stable mount. The best part of it so far has been that you can purchase the swivel mounts seperately and use the same legs for several different rifles.

While this might not be a viable option for a dedicated long range rig, it has proven to work out really well for a couple of rifles that I do carry in the field. The legs I purchased in the initial set are 24" when retracted and will extend out to about 42" and allows me to use them no matter that the terrain I am in. The system is quick to deploy and very steady when in use.

IF your need this sort of versitility then it might be just what your looking for. Here is the press release on them,
Stoney Point Introduces Monopod and Bipod Rapid Pivot Systems

I picked mine up at Gander Mountian, but I am sure that many other dealers should carry them.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 01-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

Not exactly a hunting bipod,but does anyone have any experience- feedback on Sinclairs bipod?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Bite the bullet, and buy a Harris. As much money as Ive wasted on others (outers, caldwell, versa-pod) I could have purchased 3 Harris's and I am pretty sure they would still be fully operational to this day. The Caldwell has held up "ok" but the rest are junk. Save your money and buy the best it will be a lot cheaper in the long run.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I think Ian M (or Dave King for Ian) posted a picture a wile back of a bunch of guns they were shooting and there was a sinclair in with the others. It certainly got my attention. Looks bomb proof but I haven't used one myself yet. They look promising though.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Ive been eyeballing them for a while but too many projects going on right now to dish out 200.00 for a bipod.Maybe if I leave the sinclair catalog laying around on that page,the wife might take a hint for my birthday [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Anybody here of that one called a "snipe pod"?? I believe thats what it was called. It was a ball type pivot and looked really nice, but was a little spendy.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

Remmingtonman,

I have a Snipe-Pod. My review is a mixed bag. The unit seems to be pretty well made and is tougher than it looks. It is very lightweight and is easy to take on and off. You can adjust the tension on the ball swivels for different weight rifles. That is the good........

The bad....They don't work well with heavy rifles. My 18+lbs 338KK is just too heavy for it, although it works reasonably well on my 12lb 338rum. The other problem I have experienced is that it tends to collapse under heavy recoil. There are no stops on the ball swivels, so when I shoot the recoil pushes them back and the rifle tends to drop significantly if not all the way to the ground. Kind of hard to see the bullet impact when your rifle is laying flat on the ground [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]