Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Big Bummer In Phoenix, AZ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2005, 10:42 PM

Big Bummer In Phoenix, AZ

Well, they shut down our shooting range. I am stationed here at Luke air force base in Phoenix (City life = death), and one of the only little pleasures for a country boy just got took away. I used to shoot at Peoria Rod and Gun club, but it is closed indefinitely for "safety" (i.e. money/politics). I hear the NRA is trying to help, but in the mean time, I'm stuck with Ben Avery - a very commercialized place that isn't fun. Looking at just driving out in the desert, tossing a box down and blasting away.

Anybody on here know any other solutions Phoenix local?
Old 10-15-2005, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: Big Bummer In Phoenix, AZ

Lafe,
Thats a REAL bummer, happens all the time on this side of the big whale pasture, so i know how you feel, alas we dont have the option of the desert or the public range either.

I have voiced my anger on this subject many times in past threads and its the little hitlers who make me most angry, especially when they destroy a top class ultra-long range fascility in the name of upholding their little bit of power. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"
Old 10-15-2005, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Lafe,

That really sux. You deserve better than that!!!!

I could tell you what me and my shooting buddy did but you'd probably weep [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Just keep your eye on the northwest when it comes time to settle down. By northwest I mean Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.

Really appreciate your service.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM

Roy, I appreciate your kindness. The value in my years of sacrifice is known when I realize I fight for people/friends/Americans like you.

I am in a bit of a dilema. My heart seems to have been born for either Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana (having never yet hunted there, mind you), but my family is in Ohio. I think the solution is to buy an acre or two and build a hunting cabin. Maybe someday. Take care, my friend.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:31 PM

Lafe,

I am involved with a hunter ed group that uses that range for range day.I believe that they closed it because of the EPA,something to do with all the lead. Now our class has to use Ben Avery and we can only use it for a few hours not all day like we did out at Peoria. There is a club out in Buckeye.I dont have any info but I bet you could find it in the phone book.I believe it is The Buckeye Sportsmans Club or something like it. Good Luck
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Lafe,

Sorry to hear this. I was born at Luke AFB and grew up in Phoenix. If you belong to an organized shooting club in the AZ area and shoot some of their 1000 yard matches there, the folks at Ben Avery will let you schedule a time to use the 1000 yard range which is typically closed to the general public by yourself. They will want to see your score cards as well as proof of membership to the approved club.

Hope that helps!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:35 PM

I grew up and spent 20 years in Mesa outside of Phoenix. If you are thinking of just going out to the desert to shoot, there are plenty of places. One of the favorites is out by the 4 peaks area. They recently have closed some of the shooting areas down due to the stupid ATV people that go off trail and "ruin habitat." There is also an outdoor shooting range that isn't horrible. On the upside, you can legally hunt coyotes in city limits now in most parts of AZ with a bow or shotgun.