Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Which BIG 7mm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Which BIG 7mm?

I am looking down the track at building a BIG 7mm Magnum rifle and would like your opinion of which one of the big ones is the best all round cartridge.
7mm RUM, 7mm STW, 7mm AM etc, etc.

Some of the considerations I am thinking of are Accuracy, velocity, reloadability, cost and availability of quality brass.

All opinions welcome.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Which BIG 7mm?

The only big 7mm I have (two barrels actually) is the 7mm Dakota.
Basically a twin to the 7mm STW.
Very pleased with it, but you can surely go with more horsepower if you want-Personal choice.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Topshot, I have been thinking about this same question.

I lean to the 7mm RUM or a 7mm-338 Lapua wildcat.

The 7 RUM is the most potent legit (non-wildcat) load available. You can get the Sendero out of the box and they are supposed to be quite accurate that way. With a little fine tuning like a trigger, some skim bedding, custom dies, it could possibly match some customs in accuracy. After the barrel is burnt out, a custom could be fitted to it along with blueprinting the action, etc. The only available brass that I know of would be from remmington or getting some Nosler in 300 RUM and necking down. The Nosler would probably be better brass and costs about $56 per 50 I believe.

With the 7mm-338 Lapua, the advantage here would be the availability of Lapua brass. I think it would have slightly less case capaciity than the RUM so probably a little less velocity, but more than the Dakota or STW. You could also work with your smith and modify/improve it slightly to boost the performance a little. I think this would be working in the direction of the 7 AM? The other advantage would be that this would be a custom or partial custom, depending on the components you use. I would think you would want to keep the reamer for custom dies and follow on barrrels. The disadvantage would be increased cost and waiting time.

My $.02

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-25-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Bronze Member

I am thinking about using the 375 ruger case necked down to 7mm for my next build. Still doing the research at the moment but so far looking like it may be a winner
Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojeweller View Post
I am thinking about using the 375 ruger case necked down to 7mm for my next build. Still doing the research at the moment but so far looking like it may be a winner
I was thinkung about that too a while back, but I think the Dakota is a better option in that category, JMO

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 01-25-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Bronze Member

Maybe for you guys in the States but brass could be an issue here in Oz for that round. I am in the process of trying to find out possible velocities and optimium barrel length (with the 7mm/375 ruger) as i would like to keep it down to a minimum. 24" if possible You got any interesting info? If so please post
Old 01-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

The 7WSM might be the best ticket in a 24" barrel. Most posts I read on that cartridge gives it an advantage over the RM, but some say not much different. Not sure how a 24" barrel would affect a 7-375 Ruger?

I shot a 7RM for years, it was a good rifle, but I dont like the belt on the case.