Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


The thread is closed

Beware of your local guns shops........

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #29  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

On December 10th I had 6 AR-15s in the store. I bought 8 of them aprox a year earlier and sold 2 in 12 months.
Now My shop is in a town of 800 people and traffic is slow, I know every customer by name. When the whole sandy-hook went down i got phone calls from people 20-50 miles away looking for AR's. I sold the rest in 2 days for regular prices. What did that get me??

I will never see those guys again and I'll bet a few of them got resold for twice what I sold them for. My money ($5000) sat in inventory for a year so I could make $500.

I wish I would have put them in back and got what they sold them to someone else for! My investment my return, It's hard enough to make a living re-selling factory guns don't blame the mom and pop for making hay when the sun shines. After all if you wanted one you should have already bought it.

Some of you don't realize there were over 2.5 million NICS checks in dec and Jan.
that's 3/4 of a million over any other time period in history, for comparison July of 2012 seen about 1.3 million NICS checks. all those new gun owners bought everything they could find so us regular shooters feel the pinch. Your anger at the sellers may be misdirected.
  #30  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
On December 10th I had 6 AR-15s in the store. I bought 8 of them aprox a year earlier and sold 2 in 12 months.
Now My shop is in a town of 800 people and traffic is slow, I know every customer by name. When the whole sandy-hook went down i got phone calls from people 20-50 miles away looking for AR's. I sold the rest in 2 days for regular prices. What did that get me??

I will never see those guys again and I'll bet a few of them got resold for twice what I sold them for. My money ($5000) sat in inventory for a year so I could make $500.

I wish I would have put them in back and got what they sold them to someone else for! My investment my return, It's hard enough to make a living re-selling factory guns don't blame the mom and pop for making hay when the sun shines. After all if you wanted one you should have already bought it.

Some of you don't realize there were over 2.5 million NICS checks in dec and Jan.
that's 3/4 of a million over any other time period in history, for comparison July of 2012 seen about 1.3 million NICS checks. all those new gun owners bought everything they could find so us regular shooters feel the pinch. Your anger at the sellers may be misdirected.
"3/4 nics of a million over any other time period in history," No wonder the Government feels that they should buy all the Ammo up ??

"After all if you wanted one you should already have bought it." So how does this make price gouging okay ?

I was set up as an Ammo dealer through a fairly well known company, I could use my pass word to access all inventory including guns but I could not buy because I did not hold an FFl. An FFL holder could buy a factory pistol for say $500 and they would sell for $550 I thought there is no way I would invest $2500 in pistols to make $250 .
Maybe I could look at it like you have and say that you deserved what you got if you where careless enough to sink up $5000 in fire arms and make little proffit. After all if you knew you wouldnt stand to make but a small amount of profitt you shouldnt have bought the AR's sound familiar ?
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !

Last edited by bigbuck; 03-15-2013 at 09:47 PM.
  #31  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the Southern Plains
Posts: 1,028
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
"3/4 nics of a million over any other time period in history," No wonder the Government feels that they should buy all the Ammo up ??
I can see your point Coy. My hats off to you for not price gouging that is character!
I guess I do have anger towards the seller in my local town. He could move his enventory at a reasonable price but instead he takes em to the back of the store and lists them on GunBroker to sell . I just have a problem with that . Am I wrong I could very well be wrong .
Buyers embrace the 'nation wide market' when it's in the buyer favor, and bitch about it when it's in the sellers favor.
__________________
"Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face.
  #32  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OK
Posts: 2,145
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

Bigbuck you are misunderstanding my post I am in no way bitching about making 10% on my money in 12 months. Would I liked to have made 50%%. Of course but I'm just glad they are gone so I can hang up on every tool, from 100 miles away, who calls the shop and asks if I have any AR in stock. Like all I have to do is answer an extra 20 calls a day from some idiot who has already dialed every number in the phone book and got the same answer.

The point your missing, is you and your buds claim to boycott any gunshop who is making a profit on guns. You yourself just said their is no way you would invest your money to make 10% so now you would like all small shops to make 10% on a gun everyone wants and no one can get. Your a hypocrite!

Are you one of the guys buying them up and selling them on gunbroker? so you can make 100% on your money and now your going to boo-hoo because that local gun dealer wants to make a reasonable profit.

well what is reasonable profit, about anything that is sold today in Wal-Mart, shopko, menards ect. is market up at a minimum 50% and many items at 100%. Those business run to make large profits to satisfy stock holders. The mom and pop shop does it because they love guns and gun people, they don't make hoards of money and if you think running a small business is so easy go for it.

If you reply back that you do then why don't you post up your profit margins so we can all rant on how you are "raping" your customers.

Yes lets attack the evil local gun shop, the guy who has been there for you thru thick and thin, dealing with the government bs and paper work so you can buy guns at a reasonable price for how many years. The guy dealing with the neophyte's who kick tires at every shop asking stupid questions and then buy the gun at a box store. Lets just crucify that son of a bitch for making a profit on a product everyone wants at the moment. Lets also remember with the highs come the lows and when this thing ends his sales will diminish and he will struggle thru the slow sales market, so that in the future you will still be able to buy guns at a reasonable price.
  #33  
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 3,276
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

I'm glad Jim chimed in. I'm in business as well, not in firearms. Business is about making a profit or you don't stay in business. I never quibble about price simply because the business owner either makes a profit or he ceases to be in business.

Bottom line is, if you can't afford the tarrif, don't buy it. Don't whine. It's not mature.

Sure, there are people out there inflating prices because business is all about supply and demand and hard to obtain items demand higher prices.

I get real tired of the people calling and e-mailing me and telling me that Joe Blow has the same item for less. My answer is go get it and kiss off.
__________________
'It's not about me, it's about we'..........
  #34  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,654
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

JIM , I bet you dont use the kind of language that you have used on this thread in your shop ! If you did no wonder your struggling ! My point is this I AM NOT GOING TO BUY FROM THIS LOCAL GUN SHOP THAT HAS SET BACK INVENTORY TO GET 2,400 FOR A .308 Bushmaster with a skinny Barrel !!!!!

I have owned a small construction business . I worked in hurricane Katrina you know what happened when folks tried to sell one sheet of OSB for $75.00 they got arrested ! I guess in your view it would be okay because the "idiots" shold have known that they live close to hurricane territory and therfore should have bought the plywood before hand . So now they dont have it lets just give em a jar of vaseline and tell em to bend over....
Thats a Brutish way of thinking Coy..
__________________
"Molon Labe"
IN DIXIE WE DON"T CALL 911 !
  #35  
Old 03-16-2013, 10:47 AM
SPONSOR
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the Southern Plains
Posts: 1,028
Re: Beware of your local guns shops........

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
JIM , I bet you dont use the kind of language that you have used on this thread in your shop ! If you did no wonder your struggling ! My point is this I AM NOT GOING TO BUY FROM THIS LOCAL GUN SHOP THAT HAS SET BACK INVENTORY TO GET 2,400 FOR A .308 Bushmaster with a skinny Barrel !!!!!

I have owned a small construction business . I worked in hurricane Katrina you know what happened when folks tried to sell one sheet of OSB for $75.00 they got arrested ! I guess in your view it would be okay because the "idiots" shold have known that they live close to hurricane territory and therfore should have bought the plywood before hand . So now they dont have it lets just give em a jar of vaseline and tell em to bend over....
Thats a Brutish way of thinking Coy..
It's his inventory, bigbuck. He paid for it,, he can do as he wishes with it. If he posts it on GunBroker you have the same opportunity to log on and bid on it, just like everyone else who logs on (the national 'market'). Many will buy, mail order or over the web, from a business on the other side of the country, just to feel like your saving $2 on a box of bullets. You end up paying shipping, and you avoid the sales tax. Did you save anything? Now, when it's become a 'sellers market', where there is low supply of an item, you go bashing. You said in an earlier post, and I quote, "I might be wrong". Well, in this case, you're wrong! I doubt by any of your posts that you "have owned a small construction business",,,,, not one that was 'above board', anyway. Other wise, your views would be alot different. Couldn't sell OSB ply wood for $75? Oh! I know, there are laws covering gouging in NATURAL DISASTERS! A hurricane IS a natural disaster, as are floods and tornadoes. In no way is the shortage of AR15's a natural disaster! You sound just like a spoiled kid who's not getting his own way!
__________________
"Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face.
The thread is closed

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
How Many Different Cartridges Do You Reload For?
ZERO, all factory ammo - 8.06%
329 Votes
1 - 2.84%
116 Votes
2 or 3 - 14.53%
593 Votes
4 or 5 - 20.49%
836 Votes
6 or 7 - 14.63%
597 Votes
8 or 9 - 8.87%
362 Votes
10 or more - 30.56%
1,247 Vote
Total Votes: 4,080
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC