Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

"The Best of the West", TV show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2004, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: "The Best of the West", TV show

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> From what I saw of these shows the guys are doing a good job and sort of going against the grain - some networks are shying away from kill shots and any I have been around do NOT want long shots since they think the critters will be too small. John's shows proved that is not correct, they are interesting and the critters are visible enough to get you into the shooting.

These are the only LR videos I have ever seen, understand that there are others but have not seen anything so not much to compare to. Personally, I prefer the longer stuff to the bullcrap where the guy is sitting playing with himself as the deer walks under his tree and you want to yell out "SHUT UP and SHOOT, you idiot!"

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian -- contact Butch Keen for the "other" videos of this sort -- he pretty much pioneered this video/lr game [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB
Old 07-15-2004, 04:37 PM

JB1000BR.....How do I contact Butch for his videos???
Old 07-15-2004, 04:44 PM
Silver Member

Ian M:jb1000br knows what he's talkin about.
I have not chimed in in a long time but have been reading a lot.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks Len and Ian for the kind word about the show.

For those that don’t know here are the particulars about our show called “The Best of the West”

We are shown 3 times per week on The Men’s Channel. If you get Dish Network this is channel 218.

Our times are:

1. Prime Time Slot - Wednesday Evening @ 9:30 PM Eastern Time

Bonus Time Slots for 3rd and 4th Quarters 2004

2. Friday Evening @ 10:00 PM Eastern Time

3. Sunday Morning @ 10:00 AM Eastern Time

If you don’t use Dish to get your TV check with you cable supplier. This is not Spike TV.

We are a Wyoming based show that is mainly big game hunting. While we do not specifically try and shoot at long range we do have the capability and have aired shots out to 750 yds.

When we were first producing the shows we got on some mainstream hunting sites and asked opinions as to whether we should air programs with longer than normal shots. The response was about evenly split between positive and negative positions. We decided to go for it and so far out of hundreds of emails from viewers we have less than 5 negative responses. All of those were direct anti-hunting and not specifically long range oriented.

I am really quite surprised because so many guys got on the other sites and said it would promote Joe Blow to try and attempt the same thing with out the proper equipment and techniques. I think that after watching other hunters have a hard time dismissing it as a stunt because we can obviously do it on demand.

I also think Lens site here has made it harder for the uniformed to stay uninformed as to the reality of what is possible, if you are willing to put the time, effort, and resources into extending your limitations.

I have seen one of the Point Blank to Long Range Videos (#3) and we have a quite different approach. We do not specifically set out to shoot an animal at long range it is just the nature of the areas we hunt that shots can come at long range. We are also not shooting from benchrests or other cumbersome setups because the majority of the time we are quite a distance from the nearest truck when it is time to take the shot. I would say this is more hunting than shooting.

I would also say our production values are quite a bit higher but then I am most assuredly biased in my point of view so take that for what it is worth.

It might be of interest to some of the members here that we have just finished our first video release entitled “Beyond Belief”. This video is a compilation of hunts from the show that ended in a longer than normal shot. It includes over 30 successful shots on elk, deer, antelope, caribou and coyotes. It has a lot of 400 –600 yd stuff with a few shots further and 2 shots over 1000. (1074 yd elk and 1078 yd coyote)

Some of the members have already ordered copies and I would really like them to post a review, good or bad.

Our website is
www.thebestofthewest.net

if you would like more information.

Ian,

The DVD issue has been a problem and we hope we have figured out now but the discs you have of the show were burned on media that was not compatible with some home players.

Another interesting note is the fact most networks (ESPN in particular) have loosened their stand on kill shots because hunters want to see the conclusion of the hunt and these shows have become a very significant source of revenue for the networks. We gain some ground for a change.

John
Old 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

John Burns:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I have seen one of the Point Blank to Long Range Videos (#3) and we have a quite different approach. We do not specifically set out to shoot an animal at long range it is just the nature of the areas we hunt that shots can come at long range. We are also not shooting from benchrests or other cumbersome setups because the majority of the time we are quite a distance from the nearest truck when it is time to take the shot. I would say this is more hunting than shooting <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You realy should see #1 and #2 of Butch's Vidio's. Seeing only #3 is like walking in on a Movie half way through.
Please take the time. It's worth every minuit.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:36 PM
PUBLISHER

So, John, can you give us any pointers on how to draft a letter (or email) to our tv service providers to try to get them to add your show in our own areas?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-16-2004, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

the long 1 -- I dont have butches phone num, but search "butch keen" at http://wildcatshooting.com and PM him--he'll get back to you quickly [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

JB

EDIT--here it is --&gt; From Butch: (570)-753-3039 I only take mail orders. keenvisionvideo@suscom.net [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

give him a call [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[ 07-16-2004: Message edited by: jb1000br ]