Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

"The Best of the West", TV show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2004, 04:06 PM
PUBLISHER

"The Best of the West", TV show

This syndicated TV show is available on some of the outdoor cable channels. Our own member, John Burns is a key member of the production staff. Since I can't view it on either of my TV providers, John volunteered to send DVD copies of several segments to me and Dave and Ian. We have each viewed them by now and are all quite impressed.

I viewed them more than a month ago so I can't remember all the details but I watched segments with hunting for elk, deer, antelope and coyote. In fact the coyote segment had a kill at around 900 or 1000 yards.

This is the only TV hunting show I know of that has a true long range bent to it. The production qualities are quite good, John is a very natural on-screen host and he knows his technical stuff. I would love to see this show thrive and spread to many other cable or satellite sytems. In order for that to happen, John explains that we all need to contact our cable or satellite service providers and ask them to carry the program.

Here is a press release he sent me a while back about his success in obtaining a major new sponsor.

News Release

Sportsman's Warehouse signs on as the presenting sponsor for the acclaimed
television show "The Best of the West".

Burlington, WY - 17 June 2004 - Bridger Trail Video announced today that
Sportsman's Warehouse, the Midvale, UT sporting goods retailer, would become
the presenting sponsor for the television show "The Best of the West".

Founded in 1986 Sportsman's Warehouse is focused on the outdoor enthusiast.
With stores in 12 states and plans to open at least 6 additional stores in
2004 Sportsman's Warehouse is the fastest growing retailer specializing in
hunting, fishing, and outdoor products.

Sportsman's Warehouse offers an extensive selection of hunting, fishing,
camping, optics, clothing and footwear merchandise, including more than
1,000 firearms, 80,000 flies for fishing, over 100 models each of tents,
sleeping bags and back packs, and over 150 different types of binoculars and
spotting scopes. The seemingly endless rows of merchandise make the shopping
experience an event in and of itself.

With many shows vying for sponsorship from Sportsman's Warehouse, marketing
director Ryan Foutz had this to say, "'The Best of the West' was clearly the
ideal show for us to sponsor and I am excited to attach our name to a
hunting show that shares our western hunting values".

"We here at Bridger trail Video are proud Sportsman's Warehouse chose 'The
Best of the West' to help promote their wonderful stores" says Executive
Producer Dale Caldwell." The excellent customer service, high quality, low
prices and extremely knowledgeable staff combine to make Sportsman's
Warehouse the place to get the latest in hunting and fishing gear."

About "The Best of the West"
Bridger Trail Video produces "The Best of the West" out of Burlington, WY.
With an emphasis on fair chase public ground hunting "The Best of the West"
is the leading show on western big game. "The Best of the West" airs 3 times
weekly on The Men's Channel.

Sunday @ 8:00 am MST
Monday @ 7:00 pm MST
Wednesday @ 7:30 pm MST

Bridger Trail Video Contact
John Burns
Advertising Director
307-762-3508
johnb@TheBestoftheWest.net www.ThebestoftheWest.net
www.SportsmansWarehouse.com
www.MensChanneltv.com

John Burns
Shooting Host
"The Best of the West"
307-762-3508
johnb@thebestofthewest.net www.TheBestoftheWest.net

[ 07-13-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-13-2004, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Re: "The Best of the West", TV show

Len,
You hit the nail on the head.
I have talked to John and he is good people.
His shows are top notch with some excellent long range insruction.
Here's proof he's good people:
I called Bridger to order one of the new tapes "Beyond Belief" and John answered the phone. He said he didn't have the copies back yet but would send me one when they came in. Then he said, just send a check when you get it. Not a lot of companies take that payment policy anymore.
We talked for 30 minutes or so about various things (John, you reading this- ain't heard back from you yet!)
Definitely a show to watch and support!
Old 07-13-2004, 05:40 PM
PUBLISHER

Well...I talked to him about your character and he changed his mind about not needing prepayment. I think you better send him a certified check. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 07-13-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Old 07-13-2004, 05:43 PM

I'll concur with this.. I have met John personally , albeit informally at the Cody Complex. He offered me a bet.. but I was outta ammo... maybe next time John... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
But I like the show and the long range flair, a honest representation is refreshing...

John, we have 9 Antelope tags...
Old 07-13-2004, 08:52 PM

Can someone send me a tape of the show...My cable company does not carry the show.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:16 PM
PUBLISHER

John Burns is a pretty busy guy these days but I hope he is around and can join our discussion of his show.....

Old 07-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Len forwarded me some cd's or DVD's or whatever the hell those things are. They had several tv shows on them and I enjoyed watching them with some of my shooting partners. Unfortunately at that time we did not have a DVD player in our home so had to go to a buddy's, and his machine sort of got hiccups on a regular basis and we did not get to see the entire shows. Might be a problem with the discs because another buddy reports they are acting up on his machine also. Kids just got us a DVD thing but have no idea how to work it, no biggie since we do not watch tv anyhow.

I have been around the outdoors video crews since they started a long time ago - have seen a lot of behind the scenes stuff that most guys do not know goes on. From what I saw of these shows the guys are doing a good job and sort of going against the grain - some networks are shying away from kill shots and any I have been around do NOT want long shots since they think the critters will be too small. John's shows proved that is not correct, they are interesting and the critters are visible enough to get you into the shooting.

These are the only LR videos I have ever seen, understand that there are others but have not seen anything so not much to compare to. Personally, I prefer the longer stuff to the bullcrap where the guy is sitting playing with himself as the deer walks under his tree and you want to yell out "SHUT UP and SHOOT, you idiot!"

I was amazed at the elk populations where the stuff was being filmed - wonderful to see so many animals and know that there aren't any high fences. The shooting was competent, some of it is amazing. Really enjoyed watching the bullets in flight, that is what we work with in all of our LR shooting.

I don't watch tv, even if I did I don't know if the show would be on a network that is on our cable, maybe on the dishes tho.

Thsoe guys are fortunate to be able to film what they enjoy - can't beat that. I just found out that I have another trip to Alaska to get ready for - guess someone has to do that kind of stuff.