Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Best Shooting / Hunting Novel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Gold Member
Re: Best Shooting / Hunting Novel?

Resurrecting this thread a little;

Just finished reading an airport purchase:

"Roberts Ridge" by Malcolm MacPherson

An excellent book; a non-fiction account of US Forces during a harrowing 17 hours on an Afghan mountain top in Mar 02. Recommended.

Unread 12-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Just finished reading an airport purchase:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you are not fogged in at Heathrow? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Check out White Hunters; The Goden Age of African Safaris by Brian Herne.

This is a must read for every hunter, because we all have dreamed of those legendary times. This non-fiction account of depicts the adventures of the famous PH's, the continent & the game.

Merry Christmas,
Unread 12-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Dang, first it is hard to find an authentically or correct (fiction) book regarding guns and shooting (nothing like reading about a tactical rifle in .444 marlin.) But yes, All of Stephan Hunters books are good. However, I do have one "fiction" read to recommend, "The Long Rifle" by Stewart Edward White. It is the story of Daniel Boone's rifle..

Non Fiction reads, well I have quite a few, but I'll mention a few of my favorites.

For Capstick fans; "The Last Ivory Hunter", Saga of Wally Johnson. Tells it how it is hunting Africa in the 30's-60's, even has a story about using the "left-overs" from a lion victim for bait.

Elmer Keiths book; "Hell, I was there" is the classic,classic.

"Weatherby" by Grits Grisham is the story of Ed & how Weatherby came to be. Very well written and interesting.

"The Mad Trapper of Rat River"; Story of the infamous Albert Johnson. An old Charles Bronson movie was based roughly on this true story, (the one where he is running across the mountains being chased by mounties).

"Trophies of the Heart" by Russell Thornberry.. Some serious Moose and Whitetail hunting there...

"Alaskas Wolf Man" by Jim Rearden. Story of one of Alaskas first "Game Warden's"

Love to see some more titles listed for ideas.. I gotta go order that "Shooter Galloway" book, hope PS still has it...

Member #92
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:03 AM

Here's one that is a good read. "The Ben Lilly Ledgend" by J. Frank Dobie. This is a book about the late 1800's lion and bear hunter. This man was beyond tough!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]