The Best Overall 1000 yard Long Range Varmint Cartridge
Hello All, I thought I would get a discussion going regarding this topic. It came to me after a couple of my shooting buddies begain discussing this topic. I thought it would be a good topic to discuss on this site.
There are many great varmint cartridges such as the;
4. 220 Swift
However, for this discussion were focusing on long range varminting out to 1000 yards. This type of shooting is not fast, so barrel life will not be a factor. The following needs to be taken into account when considering this cartridge; Velocity, Accuracy, Recoil, Retained energy, Bullet and Brass selection. The cartridges mentioned above are excellent varmint cartriges and they can be used for long range varminting with the right bullet, but they are not the norm for this type of shooting. For this discussion, we will use the following 6mm cartridges because they are all suitable for 1000 yard varmint work. The question is which one is the best;
2. 6mm BR
3. 6mm Remington
4. 243 Ackley Improved
5. 6mm Ackley Improved
6. 243 Winchester
Yes, there are other great calibers. However, the 6mm cartridges IMO are king in this department for ranges out to 1000 yards. I know there are larger calibers aswell, however, they produce more recoil and are more expensive to shoot. Also, the larger calibers are better suited for shooting past 1000 yards. So, lets discuss the best 1000 yard varmint cartridge.
IMO, this is how they stack up;
1. The 6x284 is number 1 because of the combined qualities; Velocity, Accuracy, Retained energy down range, Low recoil and brass selection. The 6x284 can shoot a 107grn bullet, from a 30" pipe, at around 3500fps. There is no other 6mm cartridge that can produce the velocity and accuracy that the 6x284 can and that's why I believe it's the ultimate 1000 yard varmint cartridge.
2. In second, the 243 Ackley Improved. It's much slower than the 6x284, however, It comes close to the 6mm Ackley Improved in velocity. The reason I pick it over the 6mm Ackley Improved, the 243 Ackley Improved has better brass selection.
3. In third, the 6mm Ackley Improved. It comes close to the 6x284 in velocity. However, the brass selection is not good. Yes, you can make good brass out of other cartridges, but that's alot more work for a cartridge that already requires much work.
4. In forth, the 243 Winchester. It's much slower than the above mentioned cartridges. However, it still shoots the 107grn bullets faster than the 6BR and you can use excellent brass for the 243 Winchester.
5. In fifth, the 6mm Remington. I know it's a bit faster than the 243 Winchester, however, brass selection is poor.
6. In last, the 6BR, only because of the velocity factor. The 6BR is the most accurate out of all the listed cartridges. However, we need velocity and accuracy in order to retain enough energy to put a varmint down at 1000 yards. The 6BR is an awesome cartriges and if we were discussing shots out to just 600 yards, than the 6BR would be my #1.
The 25-06 is a good caliber for long range varminting too. However, bullet selection is not very good. The 6mm caliber and cartridges are the best for 1000 yard long range varminting.
I hope this discussion takes off. I would like to see what others think and see how they list their top 1000 yard long range varmint cartridge.
Last edited by wildcat; 08-27-2007 at 08:29 PM.