Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Best material for gong

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best material for gong

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a big fan of T1 steel at least 1/2 inch thick depending on the power and distance you are shooting. It is the same steel used on older tank armor and is not as expensive as the newer ar plate. it can be cut and ground and machined with common metal working tools and welded to with relative ease. It can be found at most steel yards and scrap is often available at many welding shops that work on loader buckets and the like.

Check out my gong.

[/ QUOTE ]

4k... ar500 beats the snot out of T1 at half the thickness (weight)...really it is that good. Though...of course, it isnt as easy to deal with...but a plasma cutter WILL work. makes a nice sound too...easily heard hits at 700+ this morning from a 308 (not much energy left)

900 was tough, cause the wind was blowing away though...and the humidity was down.

If you want a real treat, shoot steel when it is raining, or shortly after...RING!

JB
Old 05-10-2006, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hey fellas , where would one find some of this AR500?

Textron Marine is just down the road and they have some contract to make some big armored tank type deal ,you think they'll have some
Old 05-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
4k... ar500 beats the snot out of T1 at half the thickness (weight)...really it is that good.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with ya there. For me the cost is prohibitive and I don't know anyone with a plasma cutter. If the chineese government would stop hoarding steel and the prices would come back down I might invest a little in some ar.