Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

Best Kestrel for Shooters

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Best Kestrel for Shooters

Hi Everyone, I'm writing this Post because as some of you may know that I have been foolin with different Ballistic Programs and this has led me to Buying YET another Kestrel because of some of the Apps/Programs require more Data,

Well after buying the K2500NV and now the K4000NV it appears that there is alot more messing around when it comes to setting up the 4000NV as you would expect, But as some Well Versed Members have said when you want to know the actual Baro Pressure of where you are you just set the Altitude to ZERO and YES they are right, But this only works on the 2000/2500 and the 3500 models, If you try this with the 4000 series it does not give you the correct Barometric pressure for the area that you are AT.

With the K4000NV I have set the Baro ref ALT to 0 and I have change the Altimeter Ref baro along with UN syncing the Baro to the Alt and Vice Versa and I have found that Nothing no matter what I do will Give me the correct UN-corrected Barometric Pressure of where I am which is what we depend on for shooting, as most people Know we climb a hill/mountain Zero the kestrels Barometric ALT Ref and we then get the correct reading for that that Altitude But if you buy the 4000 series you will have to mess around phoning up weather stations or by getting a rough Idea of your Altitude from maps or try and average your Altitude that your GPS give which as we all know can go up and down Like A Bride's Nighty (nightdress),

So seeing as we depend on Actual (RealTime) Pressure, I have come to the conclusion that for getting UnBiased readings from a Kestrel the Best models for this Purpose are in fact the 2000s/2500s and the 3500s, Because unless you have access to the actual weather details of that area (actual location)when you are 150+ miles out in the Bush then you are only guessing the Barometric pressure

If anyone has any other answers on this issue please jump in as this might be the reason why some folks fail to understand these things

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 165
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

No Answers....Just a quick thank's for putting this out there. I am just about to pull the trigger on my 1st Kestral and would like to be sure to get it right. I already have ATRAG in a PDA.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:36 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: North of Eden-South of Heaven, Wy.
Posts: 1,102
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

I use the Kestrel 4500NV with Horus Atrag and reall do like it.
__________________
Every man needs a good woman, good dog, good horse and a good gun.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored Transport View Post
No Answers....Just a quick thank's for putting this out there. I am just about to pull the trigger on my 1st Kestral and would like to be sure to get it right. I already have ATRAG in a PDA.
Well I have read threads on here By some of our very clever people that Stated the the 2500 and the 3500 are the way to go and the fact is their success proves this point

good luck and have fun,

John
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,228
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

I have been eyeballing the 3500 NV!
__________________

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
I use the Kestrel 4500NV with Horus Atrag and reall do like it.
Yes that is Nigh On the best there is, but the issue I have with these is that although you can enter a zero altitude It messes with the baro and if you change the Baro it messes with the Altitude, Why dont they give you an Un-adjusted settng, because no matter how High or low a person is the only true Pressure that matters is where they are hunting, with my watch I have ALT, and an unadjusted Baro plus I can set the sea level or the ALT, the 4000 series you have to enter something and if you dont then your stuff, and I am of the mind to send it back because I bought so it would tell me whats what, Not for me to tell it, and if you have two of these things and you set them both to Zero you will not get the Same Barometer readings

I think Shawn is right about which models work with what we need to make a Shot count,

John
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: Best Kestrel for Shooters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post
Yes that is Nigh On the best there is, but the issue I have with these is that although you can enter a zero altitude It messes with the baro and if you change the Baro it messes with the Altitude, Why dont they give you an Un-adjusted settng, because no matter how High or low a person is the only true Pressure that matters is where they are hunting, with my watch I have ALT, and an unadjusted Baro plus I can set the sea level or the ALT, the 4000 series you have to enter something and if you dont then your stuff, and I am of the mind to send it back because I bought so it would tell me whats what, Not for me to tell it, and if you have two of these things and you set them both to Zero you will not get the Same Barometer readings

I think Shawn is right about which models work with what we need to make a Shot count,

John
The reason that I am quoting myself is because the accuracy of these can be +/- 2.5mbar OR +/- 0.07inhg So if you have one reading -2.5 and the other +2,5 thats a spread of 5.0mbar OR 0.14inhg which does'nt look like much but over 1200yds can put your shot out about 3" depending what caliber Rifle you are using and the fact is that 3" could be either way so it would pay to check your kestrel by a known source and if it is out ask Kestrel to sort it out for you because if you run the known differance on you Ballistic data it might bring you actual Bullet drops even closer to match you software/Apps

thanks again, John
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.29%
120 Votes
NO - 48.57%
170 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 17.14%
60 Votes
Total Votes: 350
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC