Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Best extreme long range cal ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
I am currently using a 338 edge to great affect. The rifle has been extremely good to me.

I am looking to improve the bullet performance over what I currently shoot. At beyond 1000 yards and the 300 smk does not hit bone and is a central lung type shot they have needled and given me an extremely hard exersize to follow up.

I am aware that more HP from the 338 AM would improve bullet performance with the pill opening more. I may also want a larger wound channel and think a 375 AM might do it better.

Unlike alot of videos you have seen with the game being shot at range in wide open spaces, my window to observe the animal after the strike is about 2 steps. In a nutshell the country I hunt is so thick that I need them on the ground asap or I have trouble recovering them. Even with a really well placed shot.. so the more hurt I can put on them quickly the better. I really dont know if the 338 AM would get it done that much better with the same bullet ?

I would only go to a new gun if I was sure the benefits justify the expense I guess.

Anybody got any good pics of damage on game at range with a 375 CT or AM ?? Love to see them !

Thanks for your tips boys.

DUH
Sounds like the trouble isn't the cartridge or power, but bullet performance.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
Sounds like the trouble isn't the cartridge or power, but bullet performance.

Your probably right ! I'm just hoping that a few hundred fps extra and maybe a larger front on the bullet will assist ? Maybe not though too ? HAve yet to see the damage these round will do at the ranges we speak of. I just would like to be able to hit them in the lungs and have a bullet open up.

DUH
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your probably right ! I'm just hoping that a few hundred fps extra and maybe a larger front on the bullet will assist ? Maybe not though too ? HAve yet to see the damage these round will do at the ranges we speak of. I just would like to be able to hit them in the lungs and have a bullet open up.

DUH
Although Nosler does not have a 300grain 338 bullet, they do have some good 338 bullets....E-tip, Silver Ballistic Tip, and Partition. All of them made for quick expansion. The partition is a 250grainer...that would give you screaming velocity out of your edge. Given that the deer down-under aren't big monsters, 250 grain bullet would do just fine.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

+3 338am.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
Although Nosler does not have a 300grain 338 bullet, they do have some good 338 bullets....E-tip, Silver Ballistic Tip, and Partition. All of them made for quick expansion. The partition is a 250grainer...that would give you screaming velocity out of your edge. Given that the deer down-under aren't big monsters, 250 grain bullet would do just fine.
I wonder what going back to a partition would do to the BC ? Probably crucify it. I think I will still need to stick to a big pill with big BC. It would also suffer alot more from bullet drift in wind ?

As far as the deer not being large , they are 600-700 lbs with kevlar shoulders and take one hell of a pounding before waving the white flag .

DUH
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wonder what going back to a partition would do to the BC ? Probably crucify it. I think I will still need to stick to a big pill with big BC. It would also suffer alot more from bullet drift in wind ?

As far as the deer not being large , they are 600-700 lbs with kevlar shoulders and take one hell of a pounding before waving the white flag .

DUH

holy crap! 600-700 pound deer!! What species of deer do you have? I'll google a pic.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

Another point for 338 AM, but I would also look into the 338 edge.

Looking forward to the new 338 VLDs, anyone get results with them yet?