Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

Best extreme long range cal ?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,270
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
I am currently using a 338 edge to great affect. The rifle has been extremely good to me.

I am looking to improve the bullet performance over what I currently shoot. At beyond 1000 yards and the 300 smk does not hit bone and is a central lung type shot they have needled and given me an extremely hard exersize to follow up.

I am aware that more HP from the 338 AM would improve bullet performance with the pill opening more. I may also want a larger wound channel and think a 375 AM might do it better.

Unlike alot of videos you have seen with the game being shot at range in wide open spaces, my window to observe the animal after the strike is about 2 steps. In a nutshell the country I hunt is so thick that I need them on the ground asap or I have trouble recovering them. Even with a really well placed shot.. so the more hurt I can put on them quickly the better. I really dont know if the 338 AM would get it done that much better with the same bullet ?

I would only go to a new gun if I was sure the benefits justify the expense I guess.

Anybody got any good pics of damage on game at range with a 375 CT or AM ?? Love to see them !

Thanks for your tips boys.

DUH
Sounds like the trouble isn't the cartridge or power, but bullet performance.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
Sounds like the trouble isn't the cartridge or power, but bullet performance.

Your probably right ! I'm just hoping that a few hundred fps extra and maybe a larger front on the bullet will assist ? Maybe not though too ? HAve yet to see the damage these round will do at the ranges we speak of. I just would like to be able to hit them in the lungs and have a bullet open up.

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,270
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
Your probably right ! I'm just hoping that a few hundred fps extra and maybe a larger front on the bullet will assist ? Maybe not though too ? HAve yet to see the damage these round will do at the ranges we speak of. I just would like to be able to hit them in the lungs and have a bullet open up.

DUH
Although Nosler does not have a 300grain 338 bullet, they do have some good 338 bullets....E-tip, Silver Ballistic Tip, and Partition. All of them made for quick expansion. The partition is a 250grainer...that would give you screaming velocity out of your edge. Given that the deer down-under aren't big monsters, 250 grain bullet would do just fine.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-20-2009, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,542
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

+3 338am.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-20-2009, 08:37 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
Posts: 912
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .280fan View Post
Although Nosler does not have a 300grain 338 bullet, they do have some good 338 bullets....E-tip, Silver Ballistic Tip, and Partition. All of them made for quick expansion. The partition is a 250grainer...that would give you screaming velocity out of your edge. Given that the deer down-under aren't big monsters, 250 grain bullet would do just fine.
I wonder what going back to a partition would do to the BC ? Probably crucify it. I think I will still need to stick to a big pill with big BC. It would also suffer alot more from bullet drift in wind ?

As far as the deer not being large , they are 600-700 lbs with kevlar shoulders and take one hell of a pounding before waving the white flag .

DUH
__________________
With each step in the bush, you are a step closer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,270
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Under Hunter View Post
I wonder what going back to a partition would do to the BC ? Probably crucify it. I think I will still need to stick to a big pill with big BC. It would also suffer alot more from bullet drift in wind ?

As far as the deer not being large , they are 600-700 lbs with kevlar shoulders and take one hell of a pounding before waving the white flag .

DUH

holy crap! 600-700 pound deer!! What species of deer do you have? I'll google a pic.
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Truckee
Posts: 293
Re: Best extreme long range cal ?

Another point for 338 AM, but I would also look into the 338 edge.

Looking forward to the new 338 VLDs, anyone get results with them yet?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Best extreme long range cal ?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extreme Long-Range Specialty Handgun Ernie Specialty Handgun Hunting 20 01-21-2012 11:38 PM
Extreme long range training rossneder Long Range Hunting & Shooting 19 04-06-2007 07:39 AM
Extreme Long Range Shooting Saulg Long Range Hunting & Shooting 13 09-04-2005 09:09 AM
WHAT IS LONG / EXTREME RANGE? Shawn Carlock Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 10-08-2004 10:48 AM
Extreme Long Range Hunting Huntinfool General Discussion 14 03-25-2004 10:01 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC