Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Best Boots for highcountry hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: Best Boots for highcountry hunting

heres one more.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...SSAGES=29&FF=5
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Wacmtracm. That's why I come hear to learn and grow wiser. You've definitely got me curious and skeptical of what Cabelas is peddling - I won't say i'm convinced yet. It could all be a bunch of gossip and conjecture, but I won't buy another pair without checking more. My most used pairs are quite old and may be originals and the new ones not as good. Worth checking. I bought the the other pair in Switzerland about 5 years ago, and didn't notice a difference, but maybe they are different than what Cabelas has now. Again, I'd like proof vs hearsay, but some pointed questions to the right people should help get there.

Inany case, I love my "old school" Meindls. May try some of the Italian ones still - we'll see.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 AM

Well after lots of reading I think the German boots are awesome. Hanwag, Lowa , Meindl. The Italians make great boots to Kenetrek, Schneis, Scarpa and a few more I can't spell.

All are great so it comes down to trying them out to see which one fits you best. I'm going to order them 2 at a time till I get it right.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Carefully check out this threads:

Boots for Hunting high / backpacking

Kemetrek Boots

I see little talk dedicated to the stiffness of the boot. There's a little info on this on the 1st page of the second link above I wrote. I put many miles on my boots in true backcountry, much of it off trail. The only place I would want a boot as stiff as the Kenetrek some of these other super expensive boots is if I was in snow. That boot feels like an alpine mountaineering boot to me--to back that up, it's set up to accept crampons. There's VERY few hunts where that would be advantageous at all. Every boot is different with a different purpose and different fit. You need to try and find one that works for you the best for most of what you do with it. There is no one perfect boot. Do not buy a Chinese made boot. These are typically junk. Stick with US or Italian made in general.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 07-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Carefully check out this threads:

Boots for Hunting high / backpacking

Kemetrek Boots

The only place I would want a boot as stiff as the Kenetrek some of these other super expensive boots is if I was in snow. That boot feels like an alpine mountaineering boot to me--to back that up, it's set up to accept crampons. There's VERY few hunts where that would be advantageous at all.
JMDen - glad you said what I was already thinking. Some of these threads I've looked through have some people acting like "the stiffer the better", "they feel like a ski boot" - like that's good(?). I hate walking in ski boots from the lift to the car or to the bathroom - let alone for miles in the woods. Yes, you want stiff, good support, but only to a point. If you are using crampons or something seriously technical like the face of the mountain I showed earlier - then get the stiff-as-a-ski-boot ones. Uncomfortable, painful, and at some point dangerous (when using them in the wrong conditions), when you can't get SOME lateral range of motion from your angle on some rocks, slopes, etc. (God gave you that joint for a reason). I want sturdy and tough, but I don't need "ski boots" for elk hunting. They are tough, but I haven't had to rappel for them yet...
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

Apair of aluminum crampons is standard equipment for me.Would not be able to hunt the areas I do with out them and be safe.Have to go look for one I lost last year.Like the stiff boots for same reason,dig into side hil, know as the sidehill gouge.This is not the type of hunting that many do, but it puts you with them where I hunt, and to stay on a track like this w/ my 338 Norma
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Best Boots for highcountry hunting-m-trk-w-norma.jpg  
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Gold Member

I picked up a pair of Kenetreks two days ago. I've worn them to work the last two days and must say they feel great. Zero hot spots. Not even at the collar at the top of the boot or on those two bones on the sides of your ankle that look like an adams apple. Nice and secure and sturdy enough for the extra weight of a pack, rifle and some other gear. I'll try them in the round pen tomorrow.

SP6x6,
I never thought of crampons. What time of year do you use those?