Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Best Boots for highcountry hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Best Boots for highcountry hunting

I told myself last year that im tired of chasing little hill country whitetail in my neck of the wood and decided I need more challange so I am starting to hunt out of state more. I will be hunting Colorado this season and my typical Lacrosse rubber boots wont cut it. I've been researching boots online and found people have different ideas as to good hunting boots.

Right now I'm thinking of getting some Danner pronghorns.

Anyone have some advise?
Old 07-06-2012, 03:02 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Best Boots for highcountry hunting

G'Day Fella's,

Wac M Trac M, the Best Alpine boots on the planet, are made by the Italians!
In my experience, the Scarpa SL series, is hard to beat as a dual purpose, walking and climbing boot!!!

They are obviously not made in the USA but............

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAC M TRAC M View Post
I told myself last year that im tired of chasing little hill country whitetail in my neck of the wood and decided I need more challange so I am starting to hunt out of state more. I will be hunting Colorado this season and my typical Lacrosse rubber boots wont cut it. I've been researching boots online and found people have different ideas as to good hunting boots.

Right now I'm thinking of getting some Danner pronghorns.

Anyone have some advise?
The pronghorns are "ok", but, if you are going to be habitually in the rocks and crags etc, you might consider a more "technical" boot. I have gotten away with Danners ( winterlights when they still made them) but, a Lowa, Scarpa, Asolo etc is probably a better choice. Allot of guys smarter than me like the Kenetreks, and they are made more like a Euro style technical boot.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Wow I never would of thought that Italians made hunting boots. As a first generation Italian guy I'll be happy to check em out. Thanks guys!!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

Take a look at Kenetrek boots! They are top of the line and absolutley superb for mountain hunting. If you would like more info shoot us a message, we are still working on getting them loaded up on our website but we are a dealer and do have Kenetrek boots in stock.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

If you like Danners, check out the RAT boots they are pretty tough and current USMC issue, not quite as stiff as the Scarpas I have looked at but pretty stout none the less.

Bob
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Silver Member

I would encourage you to check out the Meindl Alaska Hunter boot. It is a nice stiff boot that does not have a ton of insulation in it, and is reasonably price for a top quality boot. I have a wide foot and Meindl does a good job of creating a boot that still has a narrow and secure heel and a comfortable width throughout the rest of the foot. I like to wear the boot with a pair of Ingenius socks and I am a happy hunter. The boot did run bigger than my street shoe, so make sure you measure your foot so you know exactly what size to order. One thing that you cannot get away with on the mountain is having a boot that is too big...your heels will hate you.