Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Before and After

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Before and After

Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the bolt in my 7RM and give a Thank You to Karl, at Kampfeld Customs for the awsome job he did on my bolt, and the quick turn around, 9 days from day I shipped till day I got it back. i dont think you can beat that.Before and After-new-bolt-002.jpg

Before and After-new-bolt-001.jpg

Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Before and After

Besides the cool appearance, what exactly is the benefit of a fluted bolt ? It seems there is less bearing area, so if anything it will wear out faster ?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Silver Member

looks cool and it gives a place for dirt to go. The only point of contact in the rifle that really matters are the lugs, this shouldn't hurt anything.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
looks cool and it gives a place for dirt to go. The only point of contact in the rifle that really matters are the lugs, this shouldn't hurt anything.
You answered before I got the chance but my answer would have been the same, also I'm 64 I don't think I could wear the bolt out, before I wear out. Besides this was an anniversary present. And it definatly looks good.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Besides the cool appearance, what exactly is the benefit of a fluted bolt ? It seems there is less bearing area, so if anything it will wear out faster ?
In wet too snowy cold counrty I hunt the less surface is less likely to hard freeze shut.I still work bolt and pin out of habit on bad days
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
Silver Member

Looks awesome !!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Karl is a really nice guy & does superb work. He did spiral fluting on a barrel for me. I don't think I've seen that type of work on the bolt handle before, looks awesome.

Most all of my rifles wear fluted bolts; do they work better? No, but damn they look good in my trophy shots

t