Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

.........bear story from wy please share yours....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .........bear story from wy please share yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
I would believe that the bullets penetrated the hide, but over expansion and or light for caliber bullets can most certainly cause under penetration with handguns.

That is why I prefer wide flat point hard cast bullets in my hand guns for hunting

The reference of some as to penetration in wood is not a reflection of pentration in flesh as the wood keeps the bullets from over expanding
What caliber is your Hand Gun ? Nice Photo..

BigBuck
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I was in training as a OR tech at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in the 70es. Had the duty one Friday night and I was the scrub. We got a sailor in about 2200 hours with multiple gunshot wounds in the throax and abdominal cavity. His wife emptied a 38 caliber revolver into him at a distance of about 8 feet. Seems she caught him shacked up with a lady over at the Red Lion in. He lived about 6 months on the bird machine, finally got Penumonia and died. He was still conscious and talking when we put him on the table. We pulled bullets out untill 0400 hours. I do believe he took 6 rounds in total. I made up my mind right there and then that a 38 was not the gun that you want to shoot someone with, not enough stopping power. Give me a 1911 A-1 Colt 45 auto now your talken with some authority. Now having said the above, Bears are tough critters. I live and hunt now in northern B.C. Canada. I got grizz right out my front door and we got blackies a plenty. I have found that even black bears are very tough critters. They have heavy dense bone, and muscle tissue, they are super strong, and can move with lightning speed. Once they get adrenalized a 375H&H might not be enough to stop one before he gets to you and puts you in the hurt locker. A side arm would be the last weapon I would choose to stop a bear with unless it was a do or die situation and the only other thing I was holden onto was my johnson. If I were forced to choose a side arm it would be a 50 casull or a 475 linebaugh.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Last edited by eaglesnester; 04-12-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
What caliber is your Hand Gun ? Nice Photo..

BigBuck

That happened in the fall of 88 and the caliber is the 475 Linebaugh. You are looking at the frist Grizz and Moose taken with the 475.. They are impressive and the 500 Linebaugh and JRH hit game even harder
Old 04-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp475 View Post
That happened in the fall of 88 and the caliber is the 475 Linebaugh. You are looking at the frist Grizz and Moose taken with the 475.. They are impressive and the 500 Linebaugh and JRH hit game even harder
Thanks I'm going to have to look them up in my loading manuals. Did you shoot the Grizz and moose in the picture ? and can you tell me how far they were when you shot them ? I'm thinking you have some pretty BIG MTN OYSTERS

BigBuck
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Eaglesnestar, what ever happened to the wife? I'm assuming she was charged, convicted and imprisoned.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Thanks I'm going to have to look them up in my loading manuals. Did you shoot the Grizz and moose in the picture ? and can you tell me how far they were when you shot them ? I'm thinking you have some pretty BIG MTN OYSTERS

BigBuck

Yes the Moose and the bear on the left.