Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

.........bear story from wy please share yours....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .........bear story from wy please share yours....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
phorwath makes a good point. Sometimes when a incident is recanted 3, 4 or more times it changes slightly each time so by the time you hear it...well you know.
+1 Sometimes hunting stories can grow like fishing stories I didn't get a chance to ask my preacher about the story but i will and if he says the same thing maybe that's what happend . Oh well I can continue on thinking that my .45 auto is the big gun

This has taught me to go all the way back to the source and start their .

Bigbuck
Old 03-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Oh well I can continue on thinking that my .45 auto is the big gun
Bigbuck
A friend of mine was a Police Officer for about 9 years. When he joined the force their standard weapon was the 45 Auto in Sig Sauer semi-autos. There were a lot of moose around here back in those days and part of his job was to respond to moose-auto collisions. We used to kill about 370 moose per year via moose/auto collisions, just on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. It was fairly common for the POs to arrive at the scene of the accident and find an incapacitated moose. They'd have to finish them off. He'd shoot them in the head with their .45 ACPs. He said it was a struggle to kill them with head shots, and it would generally take several shots at point blank range to dispatch the moose. The 45 ACP rounds had a hard time penetrating the skull.

Then about 4 years into his career his police force switched over to .41 magnum S&W revolvers. BIG difference. One good shot to the skull of the moose was all it ever took. He felt much better finishing them with the .41 Mag because it was much more humane. Lot's of the moose kills occur in the hours of winter darkness and he never said if the .41 Mags were exiting their skull - I suspect they were. But with the .41 Mags it was always one shot - one kill.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
A friend of mine was a Police Officer for about 9 years. When he joined the force their standard weapon was the 45 Auto in Sig Sauer semi-autos. There were a lot of moose around here back in those days and part of his job was to respond to moose-auto collisions. We used to kill about 370 moose per year via moose/auto collisions, just on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. It was fairly common for the POs to arrive at the scene of the accident and find an incapacitated moose. They'd have to finish them off. He'd shoot them in the head with their .45 ACPs. He said it was a struggle to kill them with head shots, and it would generally take several shots at point blank range to dispatch the moose. The 45 ACP rounds had a hard time penetrating the skull.

Then about 4 years into his career his police force switched over to .41 magnum S&W revolvers. BIG difference. One good shot to the skull of the moose was all it ever took. He felt much better finishing them with the .41 Mag because it was much more humane. Lot's of the moose kills occur in the hours of winter darkness and he never said if the .41 Mags were exiting their skull - I suspect they were. But with the .41 Mags it was always one shot - one kill.

WOW

BigBuck
Old 03-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on go back to the source and start there...when and if you can.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Silver Member

I get to hunt in some bear country, black bear and grizzly. Minimum carry weapon for me? .44 mag. That and a can of bear spray, of which I am more likely to use the spray first as it is going to cover more area than a quick-draw shot.

.40 S&W or .45 ACP? No way would I count on those to stop a bear. Sure, you could get lucky and make a kill shot with one, but I'd rather have the gun that Dirty Harry said would crack an engine block.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member

My 40 S&W is an auto so irregardless of caliber that rules it out IMHO. For black bear I'm comfortable with my 357 magnum revolver. For Grizzley I might go with my 357...it's tempting as that's what my draw and shoot from the hip motor skills are honed with...I'd be more confident with accurate and rapid shoot placement.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
My 40 S&W is an auto so irregardless of caliber that rules it out IMHO. For black bear I'm comfortable with my 357 magnum revolver. For Grizzley I might go with my 357...it's tempting as that's what my draw and shoot from the hip motor skills are honed with...I'd be more confident with accurate and rapid shoot placement.
+1 I just don't like the ideah of BANG squeeze rotate BANG squeeze rotate BANG . I feel like 7 or 8 .45 holes in one nice wad should equal to atleast a few 44 holes

BigBuck