Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

.........bear story from wy please share yours....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

Re: .........bear story from wy please share yours....

It would be interesting to hear from those on LRH that have hunted alot of deer sized game and larger as far as a rough % of times they have had an animal after it's been hit get up and keep going where a second or more shots were required. I think a second shot can happen more often than we think even when it's a well placed first shot so not always is a second shot an indication of a less than favorable placement of the first shot.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
I'd be real interested in type of projectile and load...see if you can find out. My 40 S&W has no problem going through 3/4" cabinet grade ply.
I'll try to find out what ammo was used but I think this happened a long time ago . The retired officer that I talked to yesterday didn't give the exact brand of ammo neither did he give detailed Info. maybe some active member/officers on this site will say if such ammo is available.

BigBuck
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
It would be interesting to hear from those on LRH that have hunted alot of deer sized game and larger as far as a rough % of times they have had an animal after it's been hit get up and keep going where a second or more shots were required. I think a second shot can happen more often than we think even when it's a well placed first shot so not always is a second shot an indication of a less than favorable placement of the first shot.
I shot a 4x4 mule deer in Colorado at about 40 yrds with a 300 Mag. 155 grain AMAX right in the boiler room he was at a fast walk when he came by but I hit him perfectly He didn't even drop I tracked him about 65 yards from were he was their was big pools of blood on the trail were he had bled out of his nose. I also killed an elk very close to this same place 2 years later same gun same bullet this time the 5x5 elk was standing still at 50 yards I pulled the trigger and the Elk slid down the MTN . Sometimes odd things happen that's what makes hunting exciting you never know for sure what the outcome will be.

BigBuck
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot several deer with buckshot (being from south ms.) and i have seen the shot glance off the side of deer if the angle is right but you could tell by the strip of hair that would be missing.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Silver Member

As a retired LEO I can say my department issued full strength 40 caliber ammo. Reloads were a no-no because of the law suits that were sure to be filed. No sub power loads allowed. I have shot these issued rounds into dried fire wood and gotten 3 inch + penatration, shooting from the side not with the grain.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

No disrespect intended - to anyone - but the only way I can fathom that 8 rounds would bounce off a black bear at close range from a 40 S&W is if the loads were completely defective (under-powered) or the bullets were designed to splat like bread dough on impact. And even the under-powered possibility is a brain teaser because the action on the semi-auto wouldn't operate if the loads were that under-powered. And revolvers don't hold 8 rounds so it had to have been a semi-auto.

I personally wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to sort this one out, because you won't find anyone else that ever experienced this. It would be like lightening striking in the same location twice in the flatlands with no trees or structures extending above ground being present. It makes for good reading, but it may have never even struck in the first place.

Even a 22 short would penetrate a bear's hide at close range - from any position on a perpendicular-to-the-bear hit. Any bullet that will penetrate the side of a 55-gallon drum will at least penetrate the hide of a bear at close range. Maybe not much more than that - but they will get through the hide.

PS: Maybe the story has changed over the years and the bear was never even skinned? Stories do have a way of evolving over the years, even without any intentions.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

phorwath makes a good point. Sometimes when a incident is recanted 3, 4 or more times it changes slightly each time so by the time you hear it...well you know.