Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

bead blasted ss barrel scratch resistance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Gold Member

bead blasted ss barrel scratch resistance

I am wondering others experience with ss bead blasted barrels regarding their resistance to scractehs and small hits......is it very soft???
Old 01-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: bead blasted ss barrel scratch resistance

Kirby did something to the one he built for me. I don't know if its bead blasted or sand blasted but it is a mat finish and seems highly resistive to scratches and dings.

I also have a bead blasted CM barrel that seems quite easily chipped and scratched, mostly on the top of the itty bitty creaters. Is has some kind of black colored 'blued' finish. .
Old 01-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Platinum Member

I have a bead blasted Spencer barrel and it is not very scratched up. The scratches do not contrast as much with the bead blast as they would if the barrel was blued. Think of the stuff as the patina that developes on a gold wedding band.

The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that I have noticed is that the barrel gets "dirty" toward the brake. I have not tried to take solvent and "clean" it so I do not know if it cleans up or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

By dirty I take that you mean carbon? If so a q-tip and warthog will instantly remove it. So will GM TEC but the wife complains every time it open the can, even when in my little room down stairs with the door closed. I never had a dog with as gooda nose as she has. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for your comments.-