Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Barrel Plugs????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 08:01 AM
Silver Member

Barrel Plugs????

Not sure if this is the right location for this but here goes:

I have heard of people using barrel plugs to seal the end of the barrel before pouring in their copper removing fluids etc and leaving them overnight.

Does anyone use barrel plugs when soaking their barrels with cleaner overnight? If so where do you get them? Are they any good?

I will be on an enternity of Honey Do's if the fluid leaks onto the carpet and ruins it.

Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2007, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

If you're talking black powder then yep ya want to plug the bottom end, cause when ya pee in the other end and set it in the corner over night at it leaks I don't think you'll have any honeydoes to worry about ever again.

Realistically i'd think that using a bore full of Wipeout, 50BMG, Montana or Warthog would be a waste.

Unless the barrel is rougher than a cobb only a couple of patches of the above products do the job.

Plus you don't need a funnel or a plug and don't have to worry about the volume difference between the bore and the bladder.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Silver Member

Roy

Many thanks and your so right, she'd kill me if that happened.

I have never seen them only heard about them, my gunsmith plugs the barrel and tips in the fluid on all the rifles before he works on them and just thought there might be something in it but your reasoning makes sense so I'll forget all about it.

Thanks again
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Gold Member

They are called "Chamber plugs" and MidwayUSA and Sinclair Int sells them

I have them in all my chamber sizes and use them after a really long day at the range.

An overnight soak makes cleaning easy and fast.

I keep a bottle of bore solvent for soaking over night, and pour it back in the bottle after it has stood over night.

LRH member #23
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Catshooter, you sure they don't leak?

The reason I am pressing is that UK firearms law is very stringent and if I am to do this they will have to be soaking in the bedroom and my honey made me lay a cream carpet!!!!

Can you imagine the noise the next morning if she woke to find a dark patch on that!!

Thanks
Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeskethPritchard View Post
Thanks Catshooter, you sure they don't leak?

The reason I am pressing is that UK firearms law is very stringent and if I am to do this they will have to be soaking in the bedroom and my honey made me lay a cream carpet!!!!

Can you imagine the noise the next morning if she woke to find a dark patch on that!!

Thanks
Yup... I am sure they don't leak.

They have a rubber "O" ring on them, just in front of the extractor grove.

Just wet the "O" ring with a little oil or bore cleaner, and drop it in the chamber and close the bolt (or block, whatever). If you have a claw feed like a Mauser, or M-70, just put the plug in the bolt face and close the bolt. The "O" ring keeps it from leaking.

But do have a rag under it when you empty it.

LRH member #23
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Silver Member

Thanks catshooter.