Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Ballistic program for beginners

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Ballistic program for beginners

Hi guys,
What ballistic program would you recommend for a beginner?

I have only been using a computer for about 6 months and i am looking for something that is user friendly but will also give me accurate results. I have read about Quickload, Exbal and infinity and they all have their good and bad points.

Any recommendations will be greatfully recieved, thankyou.

Centre Punch.

PS. Heard this on the radio the other day:
"Work is for people who cannot shoot or fish".
Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistic program for beginners

Well, I started on Infinity and found it pretty easy to run. I was familiar with computers and programs at the time though. I have just trained a few of my friends on Exbal for the first time, and they were working it pretty easily after 10 minutes. They had never used a ballistic program before.
Quickload is a little more complicated, but still fairly easy.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Ballistic program for beginners

Center Punch

Go the the top thread in Bullets Barrels and Ballistics. In Dave Kings first post is a link to a program he calls "The Thing". Click on it and wait a few seconds fo it to open. At the bottom of that spread sheet is a tab called "Cartridge Info". Click on it if it's not already open. Put your cartridge info in right over the top of what you see in the first column (his stuff is there as an example). Don't worry about the other columns untill you get the hang of it.

Then open the tab called "Ballistics Table" and there you will see the results of what you just entered. You can play around with your numbers all you want and the table will keep making adjustments. I have an older version of this program where the input data and the table were on the same page and I love it.

Or you can try the second link in the post by Klinkers down below Daves a few posts. Look for and use the advanced ballistic calculator. It is still very easy to use but gives you better data back for your efforts. We (GoodGrouper and myself chiefly) have been making suggestions to Klinkers on this program and he has been very accomodating. I'm finding I like it quite a bit as well.

Both programs are easy to use after just a few minutes of getting familiar with the layout. Both program writers are on this forum (as is JBM who wrote the program for another link in Daves post) AND best of all, they are free.

Don't be shy. Jump into one of them and swim around. It will make trying another ballistics program that much easier. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]