Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Back-up Bear Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

Back-up Bear Gun

I read a previous post that sparked a question. What would an acceptable back-up bear defense gun be? Would a 12 guage with 3 1/2" Mag slugs work? What would be the ideal gun? Thanks for any input. I sure would love to hunt one of those big Kodiak Brown Bears one day.

Curtis
Old 08-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Re: Back-up Bear Gun

12 gauge would work. I would have someone else holding that though. I myself would have a 500 S&W or some other big revolver on my side.

Since "defense" would imply too close for comfort distances. I was something fast handling and a big pistol would do that for me.

Hunting those bears would have to be a team effort.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Back-up to what; a bow? If you want to stop a charging brown bear I'd want a whole lot more horsepower and penetration than the 12ga will offer. growl-snap-rip-tear-crunch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Maybe that's because I'm scared of big bad ***** bears. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 07:06 PM

Varmint Hunter, those sabots can do some damage. There just not long range weapons.

Remember, when hunting any dangerous game, you don't have outrun the animal. You only have to outrun the guy with you.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have a 10ga mag and occasionally shoot slugs through it. However, no slugs really impress me for a charging brown bear encounter.

The experienced BIG bear hunters/guides seem to prefer very powerful cartridges for this type of work. The 375H&H has been recommended by many.

If you were talking black bears then most whitetail cartridges would be adequate.

The 45-70 can be loaded to some very impressive energy levels when used in modern rifles. I believe that a few smaller ammo manufacturers make some intense loads for this cartridge using heavy hard cast bullets. Just a thought.

With a slug gun you may have to wait until the bear is right on you. This would leave your defense to a one shot propostion.

I am a runner, so it looks like my hunting partner will be the appetizer while I reload the rifle. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am a runner, so it looks like my hunting partner will be the appetizer while I reload the rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Better hope he doesn't shoot you in you the leg with his slug gun.LOL
Old 08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

Right now I'd have to use my 338/378 with the old 300gr Barnes round nose bullets and I think it's a bit light for 1,500 lb bears at close range. I've noticed CZ has come out with a new line of Safari Magnums which include the 450 Rigby and 505 Gibbs. I'm partial to the 505. The good thing about it is that I'd leave it with iron sites for close-up work. Although the gun is exspensive about $2,000. I won't need a scope and a couple hundred rounds would likely last a lifetime.