Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Back from a good trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Back from a good trip

Ian,

I am sure glad you liked AK! AK is a place you either love or hate. I go through a love/hate relationship with it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It sounds llike you had a spectacular trip. There are some real proffesionals here (in the true sense of the term) There are some real duds too, but it sounds like you hooked up with the right pilots and guides.

As the guides you were with prefer the m70 for bears, most bear guides up here do and for the very reason you describe. The 700 is great untill you are feeding it with more than the ussual amount of exertion! Then they can become a problem. Next year for my guiding repetwar, I will also be using a m70 in 375 H&H "AK guide rifle"

I am glad to hear you had a chance to eat some CR slamon! It is among the finest in the world! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Many time and more times than not Alaskans including myself occasionaly take what we have here for granted. Then, at least my enthusiasm is boosted when I hear of persons such as yourself and what a great time you had.

Regards!

PS, please send pics soon!

[ 06-19-2004: Message edited by: meichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member

M,
I was also impressed with the fact that Alaskan's really resent the earth-bunnies from California and Colorado telling them how to run their state's resources. The fellows I met had no use for that kind of tourist, but they sure welcomed most visitors.
There is a certain sandbar on the Copper that the earth-bunnies will not get to finish their first group sing-song of Cumbiyau without some big furry intervention, because we left some rather tasty carcasses on it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2004, 06:45 PM
PUBLISHER

Ian

No, never been there but I'll put it on my list of places to see.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 06-19-2004, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Len
I shot 502 digital images and 15 rolls of 35m on this trip, hope to get one or two keepers. Haven't had time to take the film in for processing, that is a next week job.

Believe that you would enjoy that hunt as well as the photo opportunities - lots of wild critters and nice light.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

M,
Thank you for the kind words. You Alaskans have a wonderful state. I was hunting with an outfitter and guide from Palmer (Wayne Woods Outfitting, guide was Blake Tranmoe. I believe that we hit the peak of the rut, maybe that is why we got such big bears.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

I am sending an image of the bear to Dave K, hope that he could kindly post it for you guys to see. Just got them into the 'puter and made into a bit of order.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:52 AM
Platinum Member

Here's the photo Ian forwarded to me. Ian's the one holding the rifle.