Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Back from a good trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Back from a good trip

Just back from an Alaskan brown bear hunt - bottom line is that bears should not bring claws and fangs to gun-fights [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Don't have good numbers on my bear yet, guys are confident he is well into B&C, squared over 10'.
21 day trip, photography and hunting, two camps, flew out of Cordova - Gravina Point and confluence of Werneke and Copper Rivers for you Alaskans who know that country, went real good.
Now to get ready for prairie dogs - might not be quite as wild but should get more rounds off.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Back from a good trip

Ian

Good to have you back, waiting for the stories.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Cool Ian!

What caliber, distance, etc?
Old 06-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

Congrats Ian! Need a gun bearer on your next trip? I'm available. I have good refernces- just ask Dave King!
I carried his gun and HIM through lots of Alberta mud! Wasn't too bad, except for when he was still on the four wheeler! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Anyway, glad to have you back!
Old 06-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

Chris,
After meeting you - I would like to know what you had under the other arm when you carried Dave and the 4-wheeler out of the mud [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
(For those who have not met Chris, he is a large male person...). George told me you shot a dandy bear in Alta, look forward to hearing about that hunt.
My hunt unfolded beautifully - it was a dream coming to real life. Still in awe of the whole thing, sure met some fine outdoorsmen. Saw some of the most beautiful wilderness in N. America. And I met the bear. He was more awsome than I expected, unbelievably powerful - both beautiful and down-right ugly at the same time.

John M - Details will come out here, right now some magazine commitments that require me to hold back some of the juicy stuff for a while - apologize for that. Bottom line, near head-on running shot, 150+ yds, 350 gr. A-Frame from a .416, bullet hit in the junction of the neck and shoulder, did not move from where he dropped, scope was a 2.5-10 Nikon Tactical in Badgers.

I
Old 06-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Ian,

A big congrats on your success!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Platinum Member

Oh, yes - I owe a Brent a beer or three for suggesting the outfitter - absolutely tops.

Brent - can you believe we did not have any bugs, plus weather ranged from freezing to sunburn heat. Lots of high winds but not a lot of rain, hunted every day we wanted to. Basic plan was for the big furry guys to come to us, and they did. Nothing like two huge brown bears charging at your camp while you are minding your own business eating breakfast to get a person slightly revved-up. A few tense moments, guess that was really why I wanted to experience meeting the bear.

Lots of personal firsts for my wildife viewing list - sea otters, sea lions, seals, hump-back whales, killer whales, salmon sharks, brownies - plus dined on fresh caught halibut, rockfish (?) and the ultimate - fresh Copper River King Salmon (more like beef filet than salmon!).

Transportation included Zodiac C-4's (one had a new 55 Evenrude on it, that is a fast means of transportation...) and Cessna 206's, plus a very nice 19' aluminum boat with a cabin that kept me dry during a bit of a rough ride back to Cordova.

Can vouch for a bunch of camping equipment, particularly the new Brunton solar gear and their mini-stove and lantern. We used the newest Cabelas Alaskan outfitter tents and they were excellent in the high winds. Slept on those big cots that Cabelas sells, again they made for real comfort and mine has an organizer along the front to keep about a bazillion things in their place. Everyone wore the same hip-boots - Cabelas bog-busters seem to be the preferred model in the camps I was in. Rain gear was used but not as much as I expected. Mostly temps in the mid 50's and lots of winds out of the south. Scopes on the rifles that took the brownies were Nikons, a Monarch Gold low-powered variable and my 2.5-10 tactical. Binocs ranged from Bruntons, Zeiss, Leicas, Cabelas and Nikons. Spotting scopes were Swarovski, Nikon and Leupold. Guides rifles had Leupold and Swarovski scopes, both M-70's. These guys do not like Remingtons for dangerous game hunting - there were two in camp (375 Ultramags) and both jammed badly. New rifles and the hunters were not happy.

Super impressed with the skill of the two pilots that we flew with - superb flyers and real fine guys. Terry and his son Jarod from Cordova Air. I have flown with a lot of bush-pilots and these guys are tops. Wonderful aircraft, totally confident when with these guys.

Anybody staying in Cordoba should check out King's Chambers B&B, again a super comfortable place to overnight or stay a while.

Len, do not know if you have ever visited Cordoba but if not you better plan on doing that. Photographers mecca. Bald eagles will almost pose in flight for you, sea otters very close to shore, about every shorebird that walks the earth. Plus a couple of great roads to explore and photo from, saw some nice moose and bears are common. Glaciers are also right there, big suckers.

Got the gear put away and now its back to the grind. Got to get some writing and shooting done.