Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

ATV What do you recomend and why

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Re: ATV What do you recomend and why

The thing I hate about Polaris ATVs and UTVs is that the Earlier Polaris ATVs did not have engine brakes at all and you had to feather the throttle constantly going downhill to keep the clutch engaged so you wouldn't just freewheel down the hill Obviously also using the brake. With the newer Polaris ATVs it was the exact opposite the engine brake was so extreme that going down a steep hill or mountain with the engine brake being so harsh if only 2 wheeldrive would tend to Almost lock up the rear end with the engine brake sending you into a down hill slide. This was with a 2008 Polaris 800 I don't know about the smaller rigs.

My RZR also has no engine brake but it is a lot easier To operate the gas and the brake with both feet and then steer with my hands versus steer, operate the gas and the brake all on handlebars..

R TinVa : What bigger machines have you had over heat on you? I have been running the bigger machines since 2005 and I have never had one overheat on me And I rode them all hard and to the max all the time!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html
Old 06-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Well I have been riding off road, in dirt bikes, atv's and 4x4's for over 35 yrs
best advi=e is, to seriously think about what you want to do with the atv
a 500 is a much more common sized atv, and thus the much more models and makes to pick from than a 300, and they will also be on the full size platform, thus fit you better
an auto matic/semi auto trans, on all models BUT a Honda, are belt driven
Belts wear out and will need to be replaced at a point in time or two over the life of the atv, and how hard its driven
But there very simply to operate, and thus why so popular
That being said, I own Honda Atv"s, and have for 15 plus yrs
we have Atv's of most makers in my hunting camp, all doing same like chores and riding, and all the honda's have out lasted the rest, had the fewest problems too!
so I am partial to Honda, there newer modela are more trail friendly, but stillfeel they are more of a work Atv, than a sportier trail machine, on most models
there foreman line is, if you ask me, the work horse of Atv
and what I own
if you shop about, a new 500 can be had for about 5 grand, so they are priced right
BUT they are geared low, so if sporty is your plans style of riding, I think there is better models for that
Just remember, that the Bigger cc models are NOT meant to be ridden slow, if you ask me, they are all ondersized on cooling, and need air moving at a decent spped to help in cooling, or bigger radiators!
so a 500 cc is about right for most situations, the 700-1000 cc's, get heavier, and the HP to weight ratio doesn't improve all that much, if you do the math in my eyes to justify the price
but consider what how you plan to ried and what you want to do with the atv, before you buy, all the brand names make good atv's, and all have pro's and cons pending how /what you want the atv to do
Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

I bot a fancy used Artic Cat Grizzley 454 for 2900 and bot wife a Honda TRX300 for 2100. The Honda is older, more well used, and is the way better machine. On the rr I worked for we bought only Honda Ranchers and Foremans in 350cc or so. They were awesome. One day I will get me a Honda, wife wont let me ride hers.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member

I hunt on a dual sport trail bike. It is a Yamaha TW200 that is street legal. I have found many advantages for this choice.

1. Street lega- It is illegal to drive a non-licensed on National Forest roads rangers love issue citations for this one.

2. I have racks and bags to carry all my gear and a gun or bow.

3. Great scouting vehicle (75 miles per gallon)

4. Extremely quiet (all my buddies ride quads and are jealous. the put me out to lead on trails to not spook the game)

5. Can haul without purchasing a special trailer since I have a bumper mounted motorcycle carrier. I haul my camping trailer and have the bike on the front of the truck

6. $3200.00 brand new with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. Yamaha has a 3.3% financing for 3 years.

7. I use it in the summer for a cheap commuter vehicle.

8. I have seen a few other hunters how have made a similar setup with theri yamaha tw200s
Old 06-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
The Polaris is a pile, I know that someone will get their panties bunched about that but you could not give me one after working on them and trying to service them. Hondas are my favorite for all round.
We've had the power steering models out a couple years now and I don't think think they are safe, more guys have got hurt on them because they flip so easy, a lot of them have been traded back in on regular steering machines.
Good Thread for a guy like me that's got very little time on an ATV. Even a little humor, ie the "Polaris is a pile".
Old 06-22-2013, 08:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpcpilot View Post
I hunt on a dual sport trail bike. It is a Yamaha TW200 that is street legal. I have found many advantages for this choice.

1. Street lega- It is illegal to drive a non-licensed on National Forest roads rangers love issue citations for this one.

2. I have racks and bags to carry all my gear and a gun or bow.

3. Great scouting vehicle (75 miles per gallon)

4. Extremely quiet (all my buddies ride quads and are jealous. the put me out to lead on trails to not spook the game)

5. Can haul without purchasing a special trailer since I have a bumper mounted motorcycle carrier. I haul my camping trailer and have the bike on the front of the truck

6. $3200.00 brand new with a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. Yamaha has a 3.3% financing for 3 years.

7. I use it in the summer for a cheap commuter vehicle.

8. I have seen a few other hunters how have made a similar setup with theri yamaha tw200s
A very good option,especially as noted in number one, Washington hates ATV's.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

So does California..........................New law that went into affect last year .........Lots of roads that allow trucks or 4x4 trucks do not allow ATV's. As crazy as that sounded to me ..................I talked with an employee from the Nevada Dept of Wildlife that has a cabin in the area and he confirmed that. Its OK to drive your 4x4 Pickup but get caught on a ATV and face a fine. Whats more crazy than that ............during the winter you are not allowed to drive a snow mobile on top of the same snow covered road..................Now this is an example of what we are facing.....................

G