Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Arctic Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-30-2006, 03:44 AM
Silver Member
Re: Arctic Shooting

"-21*F, feels like N/A" Feels like N/A ... I'll bet ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] I've shot in -15*F before, hopefully never again. Firing pin froze forward, bipod legs frozen open ... a person learns real fast about cold weather maintenance. Nice pics !

Unread 12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Re: Arctic Shooting

The main reason I was out there is because Jeff at Nightforce scopes asked me to do some actual cold weather testing. Making radical scope adjustments at those temperatures. I have to say, the scope functioned perfectly. No lag at all. I was adjusting elevation one complete turn, fire and return one complete turn and fire again. He said they use some kind of really super high quality grease and titanium springs. I know of other major brand scopes that wont work in these conditions. It is a good thing to know.

And yes, you learn your rifles limitations based on your actions. Too much oil in the bolt and you will not strike the primer hard enough if at all. I've heard of several folks that have experienced this.