Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Anybody using the Choate Varmint stocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Anybody using the Choate Varmint stocks

I was wondering if any of you guys have used or are using the Choate varmint stocks like the sniper one desgined by Plaster. I'm looking for something to tinker with on a new Savage I'm putting together.
What kind of mods do you guys do I was thinking about making an adjustable cheek and LOP setup instead of the spacers.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Gold Member

Re: Anybody using the Choate Varmint stocks

Ive used it. it is what it is, heavy and big. I kinda like it, but then.. im kinda big... and heavy too [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] iv youre a tall guy it will probably fit you about right, if not, you will probably find it clunky and oversized. Hey, ive got an idea, email inbound.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

I just got my 308 put together using the Choate Ultimate Sniper on my lefty Savage. I have only shot it during barrel break so far. I really like it! It's ugly as can be and abinok is right about it being big and heavy but it serves it's purpose as a solid platform for a LR or tactical rifle very well. The one thing I don't like is the flat, upward sloped forend don't grab my Harris bipod tight enough. I'm going to have to shim it with something. I hope this helped. BTW, thanks for the advice on the Ken Farrel base. I got it all together and I really like it!

d c
Old 05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

The varmint is much better with bipods than the sniper version.