Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Anybody know what this is?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member
The MAS 36 was chambered for the 7.5 French round. The barrel in the pictures appears to me to be original with just the long upper handguard removed and the forend shortened or replaced. I didn't see any caliber marking in the pictures. 36's were imported again several years ago, and some were modified to fire 7.62 x 51 nato (.308 Win) by pushing a button into the front of the chamber for the shorter .308 round. This didn't work well. Quite a few MAS 49/56 semiauto rifles were also imported around the same time. They are arsenal marked on the left side of the receiver CAL 7.5 unless they were also reworked to fire the .308 Win round, then the 7.5 was overstamped 7.62 very neatly. The point of all this is that barring a caliber marking somewhere, this M36 is most likely a 7.5 French. I would get some cerrosafe from Brownells and cast the chamber, then compare it with the 7.5 French dimensions to verify or rule out that round. You don't have to have a 'smith for that. If you take it to a 'smith though, that's what he'll do.
Ammo is sometimes available, but fairly expensive. All that I have seen is full patch.
When I first saw a M36, I commented to the dealer who had them that they were very solid and strong looking. He told me that they had to be. They were designed to survive being thrown down a lot and occasionally run over.

LOL, Tom
Texas State Rifle Association Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time

Unread 08-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Bronze Member
The one article I referenced says the 7.5 French had ballistics somewhere betwix the 308 and 30-06. Seems a shame that such a solid looking gun, with a good military caliber, never got too much on the job use.

Maybe they couldn't handle the recoil?

What's the overall length on that gun. Looks like it may make a good truck gun, providing it can shoot.
Unread 08-31-2007, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member
Here ya go.
Graf & Sons - 7.5x54 French
Unread 09-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member
Originally Posted by muzzleflash View Post
I'm hoping to take it with me bird hunting

Bird hunting??????
range it,check the wind, dial in correction, aim and only one shot
Unread 09-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Don't know what the shoot'in iron is, but the feet look like size 12 Clod-Hoppers.....
Sorry about the sox Len....
Unread 09-01-2007, 09:12 PM
Silver Member
I brought one of those home with me from viet Nam in the 60's tougher then the look.
Unread 09-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Take it with me bird hunting so i can shoot it when i'm not hunting birds.......

.....yep, size 12, just got back from camping when i took the pictures, lol.