Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Anybody know what this is?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 10:53 PM

Anybody know what this is?

Hey guys, have a question: i got this rifle from my Grandma when she died a while ago, but never really looked at it that closely till now. I found some really old .22-250 ammo in our gun closet and figured it went to it, but when i showed it to a guy who knows quit a bit more about guns than me, he said the bullet didn't look like it fit the bore....

...so the question: do any of you guys know what this is, and more importantly, what caliber? There is no marking on it that tell me what caliber, and I'm hoping to take it with me bird hunting but don't have time to a gun smith. The thing is quite old, but looks like it would be a great gun to shoot rabbits and coyotes with...

Hope you guys have some ideas on what this is!!
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
SPONSOR

Previous importer located in Pasadena, CA. Golden State Arms imported and subcontracted various firearms constructed by European and Japanese manufacturers - achieving private label status on some guns.
Most firearms previously imported by Golden State Arms (including private labels) are not that collectible. In many cases, the shooting value will determine the price of a specimen. In some models or configurations which are currently desirable, however, premiums may exist.

I will keep looking for more info.....

Re: Golden State Arms was an importer in calif...ctx (AK Site. WWWBoard)

Last edited by Sendero_Man; 08-29-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM
SPONSOR

possible caliber from reading is a British 303
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 AM

Ya, posted this question on another forum....one guy said possible .303 british, another, who probably knew more, said 7.5x54 French.

I found this: GunBroker.com guns: MAS 1936/51 French 7.5X54 Rifle NICE! (item: 74201261 ends: Jun-21-07 10:48:05 AM) It looks exactly like mine except for the forward half, but on my gun, you can see that it looks like the barrel has been either modified or chopped off (maybe it looks like that way normally because the wood goes over that...idk). Is that because it has been modified by Golden State Arms?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 AM
Gold Member

The French Mas was imported by the ton in the 60's. The rifle you have has been "sporterized" with a new forearm. The barrel appears to be original length, and was stamped by Golden State Arms when it was imported in the 60's.

I sold them for 29.95, with 100 rounds of ammo (which I don't think is available anymore).

Because they were French, they were all in "Unused condition".

LRH member #23
Old 08-30-2007, 07:42 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatShooter View Post
Because they were French, they were all in "Unused condition".

That's Funny

try these on your frenchy

Collecting and Shooting the French MAS 36 - Ammunition

Gun City - 7.5 French MAS 36/51 NZ$799.00 - 7.5 French MAS 36/51 - Product Description This Military ...

American Firearm Page - French MAS-36 Rifle

You should be able to verify what you have in one of these.

I saw that Golden State had some 303 british guns, but all of those looked like sporterized enfields, especially around the action area.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:25 PM

Great, thanks for the replies!

Now do you think the barrel looks like it has been modified because it has been sporterized, or does it look that way because the wood was taken off or what?