Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Any Taxidermists Here?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Silver Member

Any Taxidermists Here?

I was wondering if there are any taxidermists here that could offer any insight?
I shot a bear this year and was going to get a rug made. It isn't a huge bear by any means, but it is a cool chocolate color and the wife has always wanted a rug. The hide tapes out at a little over over 5 feet. The taxidermist I took it too gave me a price of $215/foot for a rug, for a total of $1075. Maybe it is just me, but that price seems VERY steep to me. Is this the going rate????
Old 10-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Any Taxidermists Here?

I'm not a taxidermist but have many mounts and yes that price seems high. I have a bear rug that is a 6' rug and I payed $650. for it. I'm sure its like anything though you will find prices all over the board. I jumped around from taxidermist to taxidermist until I found the right one. 2 years ago he did a Deer mount for free for me for recommending people to him and the continuos business over the years.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Bronze Member

depends on the animal and how important it is to you. For the right trophy animal i don't care what the cost is as long as the work is phenominal and what I am looking for. there are sub par taxidermists under every bush that charge going rate, cheaper isn't always better, especially in taxidermy. Not every taxidermist is equal and if they are good enough to get my business, than thats just what its gonna cost me. Some are better at different species than others as well, so using more than one taxidermist depending on the animal is pretty common for me.
For Example:
the best
http://www.philipsoucy.com/gallery/index.tpl

all the rest:
Atcheson Taxidermy - International Service - Museum Quality since 1951 - Large Game Elephants to Small Game Birds
Atcheson Taxidermy - International Service - Museum Quality since 1951 - Large Game Elephants to Small Game Birds
Mountain Lion, Cougar and Bobcat Taxidermy, life-size mounts, Dumont Taxidermy, Libby, Montana taxidermy
http://www.naturalartstaxidermy.com/...my_Cougar1.jpg
Mountain Lion Mount, Mounted Mountain Lion, Mountain Lion Taxidermy, Specializing in Mountain Lion, Museum Quality Mountain Lion Mount

You get the general idea here

Last edited by bearpaw; 10-03-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpaw View Post
depends on the animal and how important it is to you. For the right trophy animal i don't care what the cost is as long as the work is phenominal and what I am looking for. there are sub par taxidermists under every bush that charge going rate, cheaper isn't always better, especially in taxidermy. Not every taxidermist is equal and if they are good enough to get my business, than thats just what its gonna cost me. Some are better at different species than others as well, so using more than one taxidermist depending on the animal is pretty common for me.
For Example:
the best
Philip Soucy Studios - Photo Gallery

all the rest:
Mountain Lion, Cougar and Bobcat Taxidermy, life-size mounts, Dumont Taxidermy, Libby, Montana taxidermy
http://www.naturalartstaxidermy.com/...my_Cougar1.jpg
Mountain Lion Mount, Mounted Mountain Lion, Mountain Lion Taxidermy, Specializing in Mountain Lion, Museum Quality Mountain Lion Mount

You get the general idea here

LOL. Thats some funny chit.