Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.


Reply

any input on the 17 remington

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7
any input on the 17 remington

I was wondering if any of you guys shoot a 17 Remington. I would like to know its maximum. Range.also the damage it leaves on fur. Would this be good for Bobcats coyotes as far as fur damage
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany Oregon
Posts: 75
Re: any input on the 17 remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbsanders View Post
I was wondering if any of you guys shoot a 17 Remington. I would like to know its maximum. Range.also the damage it leaves on fur. Would this be good for Bobcats coyotes as far as fur damage

I definately wouldn't use the 17 as a primary gun for coyotes. At 200 yards I'm not sure the 17 has enough energy to kill a bigger predator like a coyote or a fox. Prarie dogs or squirrels sure, but even then it's not always a 1 shot kill. In my opinion the 17 has a max USABLE range of 150 yards. That's not saying you can't make a 250 yard shot, but good luck
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Potomac River
Posts: 5,057
Re: any input on the 17 remington

I was out shooting a few weeks ago to check the zero on mine and shot this group at 100 yards.




Don't know anything about shooting coyotes or foxes but it is a very capable gun out to 300 yards and if there is no wind you can get out to 500 yards.
__________________
The Smokin Fur Rifle Club
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany Oregon
Posts: 75
Re: any input on the 17 remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
I was out shooting a few weeks ago to check the zero on mine and shot this group at 100 yards.




Don't know anything about shooting coyotes or foxes but it is a very capable gun out to 300 yards and if there is no wind you can get out to 500 yards.
It's not the accuracy in question but the velocity, which is what's needed for the kill.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 348
Re: any input on the 17 remington

Sure it does. I have shot 4 deer and 2 antelope with the 17. All were 150-350 yard shots. Not the best caliber to use but it gets the job done. Works the best on coyotes and fox. It was made for the fur chasers back when you could pay your truck payment with only two or three coyotes. My truck anyway
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM
mo mo is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mississippi
Posts: 432
Re: any input on the 17 remington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter98 View Post
I definately wouldn't use the 17 as a primary gun for coyotes. At 200 yards I'm not sure the 17 has enough energy to kill a bigger predator like a coyote or a fox. Prarie dogs or squirrels sure, but even then it's not always a 1 shot kill. In my opinion the 17 has a max USABLE range of 150 yards. That's not saying you can't make a 250 yard shot, but good luck
It's a great coyote rifle for 350 yrds and under. My choice for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: North Central MO
Posts: 105
Re: any input on the 17 remington

I wouldnt be afraid to shoot at a coyote with a 17 remington out to 300yards. Ive seen more one shot kills on a coyote with 17 remington and 20gr vmax than I have with a 204 ruger and 40gr vmax.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: any input on the 17 remington
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
input on caliber choice for remington 700 sps SA, opions appreciated! backwoods83 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 20 10-02-2011 01:42 PM
need some input moose Long Range Hunting & Shooting 5 05-20-2010 12:00 AM
please help need input tbshltn General Discussion 1 03-26-2010 07:36 PM
Need some input from everybody chris matthews Long Range Scopes and Other Optics 14 10-28-2003 08:17 PM
Need some input PLEASE! Huntaholic Long Range Hunting & Shooting 9 01-15-2003 03:39 AM

Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.96%
1,654 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.04%
613 Votes
Total Votes: 2,267
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC