Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Antelope hunt in Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2010, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Antelope hunt in Wyoming

I need advise concerning which units to hunt for antelope in 2011.

My brother -Tony is 67, is a retired MSgt USMC, living in Granbury, Tx.

My Buddy - Chuck is 64, live's in Menifee, Ca., and is a Medically Retired GySgt USMC. Awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and 4 Purple Hearts, and a Beirut, Lebanon bombing survivor.

I'm 64, a retired civil engineer an a Sgt USMC, 3 Tour Combat Veteran. I live in Alpine, Ca.

My brother and buddy are both survivors of extremely serious injuries. They have gone through years of extensive long term treatment and recovery. At this stage in life they're seeing that our new crop of combat veterans are able to hunt and enjoy outdoor sports after recovering from their injuries. They believed they were not able to get out and hunt or enjoy the outdoors. But what today's Veterans are doing has inspired them.

We believe that a Wyoming hunt for Antelope is well within their capabilities. I greatly appreciate any suggestions you folks are able to provide.

Thank You
Robert W. Gonzales
Sergeant of Marines (Ret.)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Re: Antelope hunt in Wyoming

Semper Fi brother. From what I've seen, just about anywhere in Wy you can draw a tag will be good. Be sure and check out what areas have walk-in, BLM, or other public land. Also check out Redbone Outfitting if you want a guided hunt. In my area of SD the antelope hunting can be great, but you have to walk in a few miles to get at the big ones on public land. Good luck.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

There is a whole section of the forum on nothing but antelope hunting.

Here are two threads not in the antelope section being as I wrote them before it was created

How to Hunt Antelope at long Range

How to go Antelope Hunting
Old 11-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the quick response JARHEAD and BUFFALOBOB.

I read both articles and have been utilizing those practices for many years. It's great to have others in the hunting community just as well prepared. I have been researching the Harvest Surveys and the hunt area map. Based on my finding, Wyoming has a high success rate in all areas. I see that those that are 75% and higher issue fewer tags. Those must be highly sought after. I found a number of hunt units that issue 300 or more tags to be in the 45% to 70% category. Now I'll narrow down the specific region to apply for.

Too both of you VETERANS- "THANK YOU" for your service to our Great Nation. I had engineers attached to our Recon Teams on the majority of missions we conducted. They were our GO TO PEOPLE when we needed to harass the VC/NVA, setting explosive for delaying tactics, to disrupt their movement and to BLOW clearings for MEDEVAC's. E&E,etc...

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Depending on how able bodied everyone is, hunting public land is not too hard and antelope are not very heavy if you use a game cart. This is a series of videos I made in 2009 of hauling out an antelope.

YouTube - Microcystis's Channel

If you wish you can bone it out on the spot and that reduces the weight down to about 30-40 pound and makes the4 game cart easier to get through the gullies and ditches. Here is a set of videos of an elk I boned out this year. I actually packed out two elk this year using the same technique. On one elk, I could load the backpack onto the game cart for half the way out and that is easier on my back.

If you hunt private land, often the land will be flatter and vehicular access to the animal will be possible. You may can find private land to hunt for free or have to pay a trespass fee. Landowner lists can be found on the Wy F&G web site
Old 11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Buffalobob,

Viewed your clips on YouTube. I see you've been practicing the "Indian Method" for long pack outs of your meat. I learned this method from a friend just after returning from Vietnam. Only seen a couple of guys who knew how as well.
All your post and the YouTube are excellent resources to references when preparing for any type of hunting. I greatly appreciate the time you've taken to share your knowledge and experience.

Bob Gonzales
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 11-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

UPDATE:

Since my original post I have been researching harvest reports, unit quotas, public vs private land access, and allot more. I've selected units and discovered that they have less than 20% public access. Selected new areas and found them to have even less. There's still time to ferret out a hunt location.

The areas I've considered:
48, 47, 46, 42, 17, 23, 26, and 29.

Do any of you have experience hunting those areas.

Thanks,
GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS