Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Another trip to Alberta

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Gold Member
Re: Another trip to Alberta

Dave, ive been there. LLoydminster.. we used to get a 10 man taxi from Camp Wainwright and visit a Dico in LLoydminster, That brings back memories.
Occupying the British Zone.

Unread 05-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member
Re: Another trip to Alberta

I have some decent images of the shoot - almost forgot about those damn gophers. Maybe the fact that their holes were in between our 900 and 1000 yard targets made them so saucey. Seems to me one of the little rascals kept holding up his right paw and gave you the finger after several of the near-misses. We did them a favor with the .50, those 750 Amax's were digging dandy new holes for them to crawl into.
Lots of good hits on the steel considering the gail winds, sleet, rain and occasional snowflurries that almost made seeing the targets impossible. Excellent for callling wind tho, you could see the frigging wind most of the day... Then during the last hour the wind did a complete 180 on us, at least down at the targets it did, stayed the same at the firing position.

Next time we will shoot the white buffalo, or go back and keep shooting at those damn gophers till we hit one. I sent the images to your yahoo address yesterday. Still cleaning blow-dirt out of my rifles, that damn .50 made for a lot of flying dirt at the firing point and out at the targets. The .338 Ultramags, .30-378 with their big brakes also did a fair number on us. Made my little .300 WSM and .325 WSM look like puppies. My little GAP Nontypical held its own with the big boomers, shot really well and did not heat up at all since it was so damn cold out.

Have fun on your Alberta break - I am off to Manitoba this weekend for another bruin vs .325 WSM event. Give me a shout before you head home.

Oh yea, for some reason Dave spent a LOT of time in the heated spotters tent - not sure his blood has as much antifreeze in it as us Canucks. But we had fun, EH!