Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Another mainstream gunwriter going after long range hunting....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Another mainstream gunwriter going after long range hunting....

Shawn,

I would have to agree with you. Why is that those in the same basic sport take every chance to hammer other competitors?

I will admit, in Long range hunting circles, the serious ones anyway such as what we have here at LRH.com, The attitude for the most part is very different then with most others.

Its much better to have great respect and friendship with your so called competitors then waste time trying to one up them or cut them down every chance you may get.

What we do here makes sense to support our sport, what they do does not make much sence at all to me.

By the way, what you discribed with motorcross, I would S___ myself if I tried that so I would have to agree, your crazy!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Your kids would make me look silly on a motorcross track!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com

Old 03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I agree, for the most part Varmint Hunters is a good mag. There are others out there, just get away from the mainstream advertisment magazines and there are good ones out there.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,
I'm glad to hear your optimism on my project. The Nebraska Game & Parks Commission just approved antlerless only tags in my area. There are 200 tags with 2 deer per tag and you can buy as many as you want. I wonder what kind of article could be written about me sitting on my hill killing a whole pile of does at 1K?
Lance
Old 03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
Silver Member

Mr. Allen,

I'm new to longer range shooting and share your frustration who scribe about our sport of shooting and hunting. Fact is as indicated in former posts, that most publications are just advertisements and product gloss.

As far as Mr. Barsness and others writers are concerned, they are mostly ignorant of the capability of modern rifles and cartridges. Most writers have absolutely no idea what a standard like the 308 or 30-06 is capable of, being fielded by a knowledgable shooter and proper equipment.

Like I said, I'm new to this sport and with very little education have realized how far my lowly little 308 can shoot and also know my 30-378 is a death ray for elk sized game at 1000yd+. It's plain laziness, and lack of understanding that drives gunwriters to make blanket statements and assumptions.

Perhaps you Mr. Allen should do a few colums for some major publications like shooting times or outdoor life. Explain to the writers and one box of ammo per yr. sportsmen what it takes to shoot beyond the sacred 300 yd mark, and explain that 500 yds is not even close to being long range. That would be a very good place to start, and a positive way to direct energy and frustration into rifle education for the unknowing.

Good luck dealing with the infidels Mr. Allen, as it's hard for them to repent and go on part the sacred 300 yd alter.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Gold Member

Buffalorancher,

They would call you a "KIller"! And say "your just out to kill all the lil bambie momas!" And make no comment that its perfectly legal or you donate to the hungry or took a kid hunting! Buddy you can forget all those Good ThINGS you did....CuZ your a heartless killer! And heaven forbid you wounded one....OH MY! Would they tear you up!

I recieve "0" hunting magazines in my home! Used to get a few but I can find more advertising on the net in 15 mins than they can put in a magazine.

I like my title "DEER HUNTER".....be it bow, M/L, shotgun with dogs, a 270AM ray gun... from a tree stand or a shooting house... off the back porch....however with whatever! Im still a DEER HUNTER!

Pretty good Kirby! I agree with on the way magazines love to slant things in thier favor to make it appear to be something that it isnt or the automatic I dont do it so it cant be Good attitude.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]

We are all in the same fight here, traditional archers, modern archers, handgun hunters, rifle hunters, muzzleloader hunters, close range hunters, long range hunters, 50 cal hunters and sub bore caliber hunters, we are all in the same fight to keep our entire hunting sport.

What bothers me is that those of us in the extreme elements of our sports will, on any occasion we can, come to fight to support all other forms of hunting and shooting.

On the other hand, how often do we hear the mainsteam gunwriters attack long range hunting or hunting with a nontraditional type of firearm. Why is this? How does this help our sport as a whole?

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Like nyles Im just a "HOG HUNTER" in every sense of the word but the archery guys always at the dog huters throat and the shotgun guys at the high-power guys throat it makes no damn sense.

They dont realize "united we stand,divided we fall" us dog-and- knife hunters always get a bad rap as well. But when they are trying to close an "Archery/rifle/MZ Only" area us dog hunters are there to fight for them. But sadly its getting to a point where they're so busy fighting each other that the state etc is closing stuff etc and they dont realize it till its GONE!!!

Then there are those hunters who unless it is specifically affecting them they dont care and WONT fight for. If it aint thier area they dont care. If they hunt with rifle they wont support any other type of hunting issues 'cause it dont pertain to them it drives me nuts. The state could probably shut down all hunting except for this guys small area and he would be totally fine with because HE doesnt hunt those "other" places anyway...CRAZY!!!

Sorry for the rant, rant OFF now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]