Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Another mainstream gunwriter going after long range hunting....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Another mainstream gunwriter going after long range hunting....

My wife renewed my "Shooting Times" subscription a few months back w/o me knowing it. Had it not been for that...I get NO newstand subsciption magazine (NSM)...other than "Traditional Bowhunting". The only other is "Handgun Hunter Magazine".

The NSM's are all just rehashed articles by a bunch of "Yes-men" so-called gunwriters that are only looking to line their pockets with freebe's and hunting trips. Take a year's worth of three magazines (G&A, Shooting Times and any other) and note the featured articles...one will run the story, a month later the next has it and by month three, the third has it. Same thing with the writer's columns...the restate the same crap and rerun it over and over. Just how many times do I need the read the same damned .270 Winny vs 30-06 article!!

Rant OFF!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 AM
Sponsor

I suspect it more of the same old thing, "those that can do and those that can't complain". I have seen this monster rear it's ugly head in shooting sports and other sports as well. As a pro motorcross racer if you can sky out a huge jump land sideways and slide into the corner just right and no one else is, your just crazy, reckless and not long for this world even though you have been doing it for years. These coments will come from fellow competitors that should know better.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 03-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

"If y'all know of a good periodical, please let me know..."
Triggernosis the only one that I will buy is the Varmint Hunter. I have found some decent articles about long range hunting even though they are about P-Dogs. Problem is only 4 mags a year published.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dave,

Amen!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Silver Member

Maybe these gunwriters could learn something by logging onto this website, I live here in Pa. around many longrange hunters and shooters,a lot of us doing it for 35-40 years. Hopwever I learn something just about everytime I check it out,thanks to everyone! There is no teacher like experince!As far as the books ,I haven,t bought any for years,You guys pretty much know the reason.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lance,

I agree, why even bring it up. In fact I was rather enhoying the article about the old 7mm mauser until the article took this 180 degree turn for no appearent reason other then to take the opportunity to give LRHs a jab in the ribs.

It did not fit with the article in any way and really made no sense. This is what gets these guys in trouble. If they would make comments like this in an article where it would fit in, no one would really notice it as much but when its totally out of place, it stands out like the proverbial red headed step child!!!

I would also agree with you on the fact it helps none of the hunting community to bring this up.

We are all in the same fight here, traditional archers, modern archers, handgun hunters, rifle hunters, muzzleloader hunters, close range hunters, long range hunters, 50 cal hunters and sub bore caliber hunters, we are all in the same fight to keep our entire hunting sport.

What bothers me is that those of us in the extreme elements of our sports will, on any occasion we can, come to fight to support all other forms of hunting and shooting.

On the other hand, how often do we hear the mainsteam gunwriters attack long range hunting or hunting with a nontraditional type of firearm. Why is this? How does this help our sport as a whole?

As far as that comment you would hear from your clients, hopefully you will not hear me make that comment to you!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And I assure you you will have a new toy that will reach out to twice the range Barsness is compaining about so easily it would make him feel pretty pitiful!!!

Thanks for the reply!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Dan B,

I agree, its about time we read an article titled, "30-06 vs 270 AM"

Would not matter however, they would just say out to 400 yards they are identical!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com