Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Airline travel with firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Airline travel with firearms

One thing to add. A rear bag filled with media like corn cob or polymer beads has a 90% chance of being examined whether carried on the plane or packed in your baggage. I use TSA locks on my checked gear(not my rifle). My checked gear, ammo etc. has never been opened when I carry my rear bag in my carry on. I have almost always had the rear bag inspected at the xRay at check in. I prefer to have it checked out with me there to explain what is in it and what it is used for.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Airline travel with firearms

Thanks to all that replied. I've been away for a few days.

The good news is, I've been able to re-arrange my flights where the super short layover won't be a problem. It will now be a scheduled 40 minutes. More than enough time to make the exchange.

As for shipping ahead, I'm sending the ammo because there will be a little more than the allowed weight. In that same package, I might just send those things like the rear bag, new batteries for the electronics and the cleaning kit that will get the extra scrutiny or run the risk of being confiscated because they are evil in the tsa's eye. I'm shipping to myself c/o the destination and that destination is a FFL.

This weekend, I'll layout all the parts and pieces and cut the foam for the Pelican case. The plan is to have the scopes in my carry-on bag along with the RF. the rifle, tripod and cleaning rod in the Pelican.

Thanks again!