Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Airline Gun Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Re: Airline Gun Case

Picked up a Browning 2 gun case. Room for both rifle, shot gun and 357mag. Never gave insuring them a thought but Swarovski scopes are tough but probably not airline baggage proof. My neighbor is a Browning dealer and the price was right.
Thanks for the input, this is my first out of state hunting trip hopefully first of many.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
IMO go with the Pelican. We used several different types for all kinds of gear during my time in the Corps and they never failed. I have a 1750 for my LR rig and it is serving well. Save up a little more $ and buy a case that will last.

+1
It's hard to spend the money on a custom rifle and optics but its even harder not to spend it on a case to protect it in. Airline baggage handleing is a contact sport! my Pelican has the scars to prove it over 25,000 miles and no rifle damage.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

Cabela's: Cabela's "Bullet Proof" One Black-Powder Rifle Case
Here's the gun case I bought to put my 338 Edge in for an Alaska spring bear hunt. The last time I flew I had a brand new case like this Amazon.com: Winchester Double Rifle Case Black: Sports & Outdoors

I couldn't believe how badly they beat it up. The aluminum rim around the edges was knocked off on one end and it was scratched and dented all over. I took it to the baggage claim in Salt Lake City and showed them. At first the said all cases will eventually get scratched up like that. I told her it was the first time I'd used it. She said "WOW" and imediately paid me for the case.
I was lucky though. I guy, who I'd sat next to on the plane, was goming home from a Sitka bear hunt. When we saw his case come down the belt I about died. His barrel was sticking out the end of his guncase!! They'd slammed his case so hard that the barrel had parted/bent the end of the case open.

Last edited by LRSickle; 09-30-2010 at 07:06 AM.