Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Airline Gun Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Airline Gun Case

Traveling west for first time for hogs and turkey and need a gun case that will hold a scoped xbolt and shot gun. Most cases I see out there are for only one rifle. Any recommendations would be appreciated. The Pelican 2N2 seems great but a little steep price.
Lee
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Airline Gun Case

Hey, Ive only flown with a firearm once and I got the airline case from Bass pro. It was aluminum, and good for the money I paid, but only a 1 gun model.
I looked thru the latest Cabelas shooting catalogue after reading your post, and I see some pretty nice cases, Cabelas brand. Aluminum and plastic. Granted theyre not Pelican cases, but theyre not priced that way either
The catalogue page says ''to view our entire selection of gun cases, go to cabelas.com''..........Ive never seen them there, but then again Ive never looked for them that way either. May wanna give that a try.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Flight proof-Rhino or black rhino or something like that. Two rifle one on top of each other with plenty of padding. I bought it because it was cheap(on sale $120) at the local scheels. Don't know if I will ever use it though.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Gold Member

IMO go with the Pelican. We used several different types for all kinds of gear during my time in the Corps and they never failed. I have a 1750 for my LR rig and it is serving well. Save up a little more $ and buy a case that will last.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 09-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was looking for a 2 gun case but I may take my rifle and borrow a shotgun for turkeys. I've seen some 1750 prices that are within reason. Would there be room to tuck a S&W 686 in too?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

I've used a SKB 2-gun for several years with no problems. You probably will want the model with wheels for 2 guns. Sometimes it's a pretty good stroll from baggage claim to your transportation.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Don't laugh.

Buy a lockable hard golf case. Both guns in soft cases and wrapped easily fit along with other items.

Costs less than a standard 2 gun case by a lot.

Remember to put private insurance on them. Airlines only cover baggage to $750 and have tons of exclusions.

BH