Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:49 PM
Gold Member
Re: After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

I have several but highly recomend the Canjar single set it has been in operation for over 25 years only complaint it doesn't work well in extreme cold weather the set part that is, other part will work well...

Unread 07-04-2006, 10:06 PM
Writers Guild

Used several Timneys on Enfield P actions. Install very straight forward but you need to modify the hammer to work with the new trigger sear if you convert to cock on opening. The original hammer works fine.

Adjustments are just like a Rem 700 trigger group. Easy to adjust, hold settings well and a very light pull can be accomplished safely. Mine are under 1lb - they are not supposed to get that light but do.

I have only used one Shilen on a Rem700 and could never get rid of the creep. Install was easy but wouldn't consider it an ideal comp trigger group. Maybe just had a bad one.

I am now playing with Savages and love them. The SSS is a great trigger, very easy to install and adjust but can only get to around 1lb. Very crisp with no overtravel (or as much as you want). So far settings have not changed with a few hundreds rds fired.

An excellent varmint/LR hunting trigger group.

The Rifle Basix 2 is the most complicated trigger group to install. Not really difficult but I definitely need the CD instructions to get through it. There are no big issues but lots of little parts that need to go in the right place.

However, once installed, you are rewarded with a wonderfully light and crisp pull. You can get yours to around 4oz but it can vary with the height of your sear. One rifle was spooky light (actually made it heavy then min). Second rifle had to be made a bit heavier so that sear wouldn't skip.

Only thing I can see is the very low engagement of sear and trigger group. That is unfortunately a quirk of parts mixing. Each rifle will vary a bit.

I love having very light and crisp trigger for LR hunting and match shooting. The Rifle Basix 2 fills the bill every bit as good as a Jewel at 6 to 8 ozs.

Unread 07-04-2006, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Shilen a few years ago. Had to dremel out the stock quite a bit to get it to clear the set screws. Had to adjust it myself. I can not see any real advantage over a 700 trigger. Have been adjusting my own 700 triggers for the last few years.

I always heard of how good the Jewells were so I finally broke down and bought one. It is one of them DUH smack yourself in the forehead why didn't I do this years ago things.Maybe other ones are similar but I can only comment on the difference between it and my 700/Shilen triggers.

It is the varmint model so you can still use the factory bolt release. It came with the heaviest spring of three installed in it, adjusts from 8oz to 4 lbs. It is factory set to a pound. Tap two pins out and put it in. I can't describe the pull....perfect maybe, I ain't messing with it. Two other springs come with it to take the poundage down to 1.5 oz if you want.

I'm very pleased with it, will be saving up for more.
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Had a Timney put in a 1908 Mauser in 1966. The smith set it a little heavy for my liking. I adjusted it myself to my satisfaction and I thought it was great.

Shot out the Douglas barrel a couple of years ago. A different smith installed a Lilja bbl and did a bunch of other things.

One of the other things was adjust the trigger. It's light years ahead of the way I did it. Its now a great trigger instead of just a good one.
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Bronze Member

Canjar its hard to beat I have one on order, should be here soon I hope. Going on a Savage
Unread 07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Added a Rifle Basix LV-1 onto my 222.
Having never worked with a rifle trigger before, I was concerned about any safety screw-ups I might make. Turns out it really wasn't that big of a deal. The process took about 25 minutes. It didn't help when I forgot how to put the bolt stop and safety back together. Broke down my 308 and used that as my guide.
Cons: From the instructions sheet, Rifle Basix assumes you have a photographic memory of how all the parts fit together. They could do a better job in the photo illustrations department for beginners like myself.
This trigger broke consistently at 15oz measured with a Lyman digital gauge. Decided to buy another LV-1 for my 308 VSF. The trigger pull weight was all over the place and any amount of adjusting wouldn't solve the issue. Sent it back to the very helpful folks at Rifle Basix to have it checked out. It was sent back and I re-installed it. Same problem. Returned that trigger to Cabela's and got a 3rd one. Same issues as the 2nd trigger.
Kirby tried to solve the issues thru email and we couldn't figure it out. I returned the 3rd trigger to Cabela's and am looking at having a local smith install a Timney.
Member: The Red Mist Culture