Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Platinum Member

After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

Am interested in hearing about your experience installing aftermarket triggers, particularly on Rems and Savages. Would like to hear about brands that worked very well, brands that suck.
.. how easy was the installation
.. were the instructions well prepared?
.. end-result - how much better was the after-market trigger?
.. any horror stories?

Appreciate any info. I pretty much destroy anything mechanical that I touch, should I try one of these things by myself?
Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Silver Member

Re: After-market Triggers - the good, bad and ugly?

I have Canjar set triggers on all of my hunting guns from an XP to 416 Gibbs. I installed all but the first one, very easy to install and adjust, normal trigger is set at a crisp 2 pounds, set is ounces, I like the trigger shoe they come with. I also have several target models this trigger is different as it is not a set trigger and the trigger is a curved wire which you can turn to the left or right. I bought a rifle with a custom over sized trigger guard and the wire was straight except for a hump in the middle, you just moved your finger straight down and when you hit the hump it fired, I have not seen another like it.

The only problem is the time delay in getting them, they don't make a lot of them at a time but they do make them for Remington, Winchester, Mauser, and P14's as well as a few others.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

for a hunting gun its hard to beat a rifle basixs. Easy to install and set up good easy to follow directions.

da
Old 07-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

I have to agree with d-a. I installed a rifle basix trigger in my remington and had it adjusted to a consistant 2.5 lb. pull in a matter of minutes, which was a relief after spending several hours trying to get the factory trigger down under 4 lbs. without it tripping when I smacked the side of the rifle.
"I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth and he won't see my breath. I take my time. . . I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear"
Old 07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Platinum Member

In both of my Remingtons I was fortunate enough to get both to 2.5# without any problems. In my Savages (all pre Accutrigger) I have 2 Sharp Shooters supply triggers and one Rifle Basix.(hunting model)

The Rifle Basix come with all of the set screws in a bag and they need to be installed prior to installation and set after the trigger is installed. Instuctions are clear and illustrated, great for those of us that are all thumbs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Once in it takes just a little tweaking and your good to go, total time about 20 mins.

The SSS trigger comes complete and ready to drop in. However, on some rifles the top of the bolt stop need to be ground down. (both of mine did) To avoid taking to much off they recommend grinding a little then try it. One rifle took me four tries the other three before I had enough clearance, so you get some practice installing and removeing the trigger before your done. total time 30-45 mins. depending how aggresively you grind.

I've only had the Rifle Basix to the range 3 times (around 50 rnds) but it every bit as nice to shoot as the SSS is. I'd be hard pressed to say that one was better than the other, both break clean and crisp with no creep.

Chris
Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

I had a Canjar trigger in a rem 700. It was sweet I regret selling it.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Have to go with the Canjar, very smooth easy to install and the trigger is sweet can be adjusted to 1 pound and set by pulling the shoe forward, most of the time I don't set the trigger it is so smooth its not necessary. One problem is once its set you have to open bolt to unset it if you don't shoot. I have one so light I won't look at it when its set. I only set the gun just before the shot I am always surprised when she goes. They make them for Savage also.