Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

after the kill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

after the kill

Well, what I did was to cut the venison tenderloin in bite size pieces ....AFTER I had used a tenderizing device on both sides of the meat .

The tenderizing was not for tenderizing but for the quicker cooking time that it brings about .

Then , a bath in beaten egg followed by a drain in a collander .Thats a bowl with little holes in it for you cooking impaired long range whackers .

At this point the deep fryer should be humming along at about 350 or so . Don't you dare put those beautiful bits of premeditasted murder venison bits in the deep fryer without first coating them in flour , salt and pepper . Then do so merrily as you will be glad in a little while . Just don't wait long , it takes very little time for the bites to be ready to go to the next step. Check them out , a little red insid e is just right .Remember , they are not at the end of the road yet. Set them aside when cooked lightly but floating .
In the meanwhile you will have started a roux with bacon grease and flour in a separate skillet . 4 or 5 tablespoons of bacon grease with whatever amount of flour it takes to produce a " not greasy , not dry " roux . Don't get in a hurry , add flour as you need to while watching the progress of the roux .350 degrees is a good middle temp to work with .

At this point personal preferences come into play. I like to use chicken broth and milk to modify the gravy that is cooking . Coupla cans of broth per avg skillet and a cup or two of milk , always let the mix come up to temp before you add add'l liquids.Oh , yeah , add the venison at this point and get some rice cooking to serve this marvelous concoction over .

Jim B.

Ahhhh , then the Piece de' resi ahhh shhoot the good stuff . One can of Rotel , added to the gravy makings simmered for a bit , served over rice .

Ummm , ummm, Jim B.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: after the kill

Yo jimm,

Try same receipe but using Krusteaz hot cake mix instead of flour.

Some kinda good. You won't be dissapointed. Maybe even add a little Tony's cajun seasoning if you wish.

My mouf is waderin'.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] and da freezer's MT.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Silver Member

I don't have that much patience - the deer/elk/duck finger steaks get dipped in some fry sauce if they last that long after coming out of the fryer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Equal parts of egg and buttermilk make a nice wash before they hit the flour... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2006, 05:09 AM
Platinum Member

So what time is dinner?

If I leave now I can swing by Alabama, loop up through Arkansas and then I need somebody to feed me somewhere about Colorado before getting to Idaho.

Whats for dessert?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:24 AM
Gold Member

I don't know Bob we'll have to ask Jimm? Are you doing o.k.? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2006, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

How am I doing?

Well, I will say that I have tried everything I know to kill a turkey including hit and run with the truck and the hunting is really good but success is elusive. The limit is only one so if I should kill one I have to quit hunting and just go fishing everyday.

Unless I find a really dumb turkey there will be no posting of turkey recipes by me.