Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

After the animal is down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2003, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: After the animal is down

I can't use 4 wheelers where I hunt at. I can ride my mule though. I have in the past shot something way out there and got on him and he went right to it. I don't know how, I just let him have the reins and he went to the animal. It must be a smell thing or something. Aside from using the mule though I commoly have to track down lost animals for other hunters. I have been called in the middle of the night before when someone lost a deer or hog or something and had to go out and find it for the knuckleheads. I have never had a problem finding a bloodtrail and if I dodn't find one within a few minutes then they missed it and called me out for nothing. Lately I have been doing some really long range shooting at varmints and if I shoot one I want to go see I pick out a land mark or feature and just keep heading for it not taking my eyes off it except for the occasional glance down for rattle snakes.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: After the animal is down

We often use tracking dogs to find them. Then we drag them out to the nearest road,many places here are so rough even tractors canīt handle it.Then we take them to our cottage to skin and hang... The real work really starts after the kill.