Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

After the animal is down

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Bronze Member

After the animal is down

Well since I wore my red socks today…

Since I am new to this long range hunting stuff I was wondering how you guys go about getting an animal after it is down? Since most of my shooting has been at short ranges in dense cover we (my father, hunting partners and myself) usually rely on 4-wheelers or 6-wheelers to haul/drag the animal back to the pickup. When you get an animal at longer ranges how do you find the animal after shooting it, i.e. does someone stay and keep an eye on it while others walk over to it? And after it is all said and done do you pack the thing out, or do you rely on mechanical or animal transportation?
Old 09-15-2003, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: After the animal is down

The way we do it....After the animal is down.We keep at least one set of big eyes on it.We then send a few of the younger guys [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] over to where it is...We talk them in with talkabout radios...And we do things the old fashion way....We just drag them out.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[ 09-15-2003: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]
Old 09-15-2003, 10:02 AM
*WyoWhisper*

We usually just follow the Grizzly Bear.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 12:53 PM
PUBLISHER

WW

I like that idea! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

I prefer to radio in a 206 and long-line the sucker over to the truck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Those were the days.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

If you're on a high point or identifiable location you can shoot a compass bearing... You know the distance from the ranging method (I assume you range). Walk/drive or whatever to the area of the critter and back range and bearing to get to the spot. If you need a marker at the shooting point...use flagging tape or some such. If it's getting dark... leave one of those little mag lights in the "candle" mode as a beacon. Once you give it some thought it'll be easy enough... Write down some of the thing you remember about the critter location if it's a new place and you're alone... "in line with the whatever", "critter went out of sight at the big spruce with a stumpy left limb".. you'll forget in the excitement. Jot down something about where you shot from...leave a marker is best. The key it that you know the distance "from and to" so you can always try again of you have a landmark.

Pack it out???... I shoot them for other folks...I bring them along and let them pack it/them out!

[ 09-15-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]
Old 09-30-2003, 10:48 PM

Why pack them out when you have a perfectly good horse to do it! which is about the only thing they are good for! A little Vixes on an old sock tied to the halter does wonders. Just have to watch the horns on those big elk. Don't forget, what ever you carry.. flag it or tarp it (orange), the hunters out there most likly don't think like we expect! Anyone can buy a gun and make sound shots! Thank God most of them don't get out of their trucks.