Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Advice on new encore rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member

Advice on new encore rifle

Just recieved my new encore rifle, any tips or tricks out there for improving accuracy, breaking barrels in, etc.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Advice on new encore rifle

I never really played with the factory barrel. I have a Bullberry barrel and a Virgin Valley barrel for mine. Both have a "hanger bar" that the forend mounts to and both barrels have outstanding accuracy. I believe Bullberry will install their forend hanger bar system on factory barrels and channel out your forend to accept it if you're interested.
Other than that, I take a shot, clean the barrel, take a shot, clean the barrel for the first 10 and then clean after every 5 for the next 20 or so. When that's done, I consider the barrel broken in and clean it only when the groups get shoddy or when I'm done shooting for the year.
Coyoter
Old 06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

I think the hanger bar is the secret to real good accuracy for the Encore. Virgin Valley made a hanger bar for factory barrels, but you had to a Bullberry or VV forend. Someone else is making it now. I don't want to get your hopes up, but I have a bullberry forend somewhere in my shop all you would have to do is order a hanger for a factory barrel. If I can find it u can have it for just the shipping charge. I'll get back with u this weekend. It is wood u can paint it any color or stain it.

Moe
Old 06-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Go to www.bellmtcs.com They have lots of goodies and lots of information on Encores. I got a 1X oversize hingepin for mine and had them do a trigger job. If you don't want to spring for one of the hanger bar forends, midway has a beavertail forend made by Boyd's. I have one and it rides the bag alot better than a skinny factory forend. Here is the link
http://www.midwayusa.com/esearch.exe/sea...egin+Search.y=8
Hope this helps.
Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Breaking in clean Very good first. Clean between every shot for 10 or so then every 3rd shot for a period then shoot 5 for a period. All ways vari in breaking in. To improve acuracy have a trigger job as the triggers are very hard, then a hanger bar is recomended, or some sort of fore arm posts. Should shoot an 1" or better at 100 seen some even less. Custom barrels are a plus. I have had numerous Enores that were good shooters but they ain't no bolt actions. Go to specialty pistol sight, there is a wealth of information there also. As Mo said you can get a custom hanger bar from stratton accesories.Good Luck Lou

Last edited by ourway77; 11-16-2009 at 08:00 AM.