Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Advice on new encore rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-29-2006, 06:52 PM
Bronze Member
Advice on new encore rifle

Just recieved my new encore rifle, any tips or tricks out there for improving accuracy, breaking barrels in, etc.

Unread 05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
Bronze Member
Re: Advice on new encore rifle

I never really played with the factory barrel. I have a Bullberry barrel and a Virgin Valley barrel for mine. Both have a "hanger bar" that the forend mounts to and both barrels have outstanding accuracy. I believe Bullberry will install their forend hanger bar system on factory barrels and channel out your forend to accept it if you're interested.
Other than that, I take a shot, clean the barrel, take a shot, clean the barrel for the first 10 and then clean after every 5 for the next 20 or so. When that's done, I consider the barrel broken in and clean it only when the groups get shoddy or when I'm done shooting for the year.
All it takes is One Good Shot!
Unread 06-05-2006, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

I think the hanger bar is the secret to real good accuracy for the Encore. Virgin Valley made a hanger bar for factory barrels, but you had to a Bullberry or VV forend. Someone else is making it now. I don't want to get your hopes up, but I have a bullberry forend somewhere in my shop all you would have to do is order a hanger for a factory barrel. If I can find it u can have it for just the shipping charge. I'll get back with u this weekend. It is wood u can paint it any color or stain it.

Unread 06-08-2006, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

Go to They have lots of goodies and lots of information on Encores. I got a 1X oversize hingepin for mine and had them do a trigger job. If you don't want to spring for one of the hanger bar forends, midway has a beavertail forend made by Boyd's. I have one and it rides the bag alot better than a skinny factory forend. Here is the link
Hope this helps.
The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once.

NRA Life Member
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Silver Member

Breaking in clean Very good first. Clean between every shot for 10 or so then every 3rd shot for a period then shoot 5 for a period. All ways vari in breaking in. To improve acuracy have a trigger job as the triggers are very hard, then a hanger bar is recomended, or some sort of fore arm posts. Should shoot an 1" or better at 100 seen some even less. Custom barrels are a plus. I have had numerous Enores that were good shooters but they ain't no bolt actions. Go to specialty pistol sight, there is a wealth of information there also. As Mo said you can get a custom hanger bar from stratton accesories.Good Luck Lou

Last edited by ourway77; 11-16-2009 at 08:00 AM.