Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Advice for a beginner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 PM

Advice for a beginner

Hi,

I have not been in the sport long and am looking for some advice on setting goals.

I have a Remington 700 in .308 Win. I know I can hit coins at 250 yards but past that I am not sure what sort of goals I should be setting myself. What are realistic targets for longer distances with this rifle and caliber?
Old 02-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

Re: Advice for a beginner

I'm a newbie too, what I did/am doing is to just work my way out further a little at a time...I'm shooting 300 now, and plan to push it to 400 and hopefully further this summer. F-Class is good practice for reading wind, and at 300, 600 and 1000 yards provides a great challenge. I've shot 1 f-class shoot at 600, it was a blast, you find out that you are both better and worse than you thought you were. For target, the .308 will go out to 1k, and maybe 1200...for Game, I stick to where I'm confident, with the ultimate goal of 600 yards for deer size game