Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Actual Hunting & Firing w/a Muzzle Brake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Actual Hunting & Firing w/a Muzzle Brake

[ QUOTE ]
My deer seem to like to stand still only when their rump is turned toward me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ? , shoot them in the rump !( kinda in the center ) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

I'm thinking t hat you need to have several haunts alredy doped out and then when they show you are good to go with info previously obtained ..........or , I could be there , [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Roy , get on up there and do your good neighbor job , Jim C. needs you , sides that aint it too cold to be fooling aroung with irrigation equipment anyways ?

Opportunities come when they come , sometimes long waits between ,

Jim B.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Silver Member

I shot my 300 ultra with a holland ONCE, and I would never do it again. I pulled the trigger, boom, it was so loud I got dizzy and light-headed. Not to even mention the ringing that lasted for days.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

have you guys used the walkers game ear plug things?
They magnify all noise except for loud noises, then it shuts those out.
I also have a 300RUM, holland braked, and wow is it loud!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Bronze Member

I've used muffs, electronic muffs, foam plugs, rubber plugs on a string and rubber plugs on a metal band.

Those plugs on a flexible band are the easiest to get on quickly. They also don't bump the stock or make ruffling noises to confuse my ears.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
I shot my 300 ultra with a holland ONCE, and I would never do it again. I pulled the trigger, boom, it was so loud I got dizzy and light-headed. Not to even mention the ringing that lasted for days.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I shot my buds 300, other than the days long ringing, yes, exactly. I felt just like I should have had a nose bleed from the resulting pressure. Definately a one time memory etching process.

I haven't done the .270 AM yet and hopefully won't be forced to. Just haven't seen anything that is really worth shooting at that badly, to repeat the experience.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 10-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Roy,

Hope the hunting is going well!!!

Regarding the ear protection, you might want to look at a pair of the North Sonic II ear valves (used to be called Lee Sonic). These are about the same size as the foam ear plugs but you can hear about 90% of normal when wearing them. They have a small spring loaded diaphram inside them and the pressure wave closes that diaphram when you fire. One pair will last you for years of hunting - they come in a small blue case that is easy to carry.

Craig is SE Idaho
Old 10-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Platinum Member

Huntin sux so far.

Thanks for the reminder on the Lee's. I had/have some someplace. All I can find is the small blue plastic case [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]