Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Acraglas gel on an aluminum block?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2006, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Acraglas gel on an aluminum block?

I have a ton of Acraglas Gel on hand because I use it to do grip reductions on Glock pistols. I have used it to pillar bed a couple of rifles and it seems to work fine. I don't hear much about the product anymore, presumably because Marine Tex has some advantages. I am wondering, would the Acraglas work to skim bed a Weatherby Accumark or should I cool my jets and order up some Marine Tex?
Old 05-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Acraglas gel on an aluminum block?

I use it all the time as its easier for me to get hold of than Marine Tex and I feel it works better as a glue than some other bedding material.
BUT , I will say that when I use it to glass an action , skimm or otherwise I add atomized metal either Stainles or aluminum to it , this makes it much thicker and easier to work with and harder and less prone to any growth or shrinkage.
But I would say that it should work fine as a skim bed used alone , I just prefer some extra stuff in their
Old 05-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Acraglas gel on an aluminum block?

I would agree with JDJ on this one. You may want to remove any finish paint that may be in the receiver area and also rough up the exposed aluminum a bit with a course sanding drop on a dremal tool but it generally works well.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com