Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Accuracy is relative!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2008, 02:26 AM
Silver Member
Men don't cry

What was, it was, so we all start with a clean sheet.

Unread 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Despite getting off topic a bit I appreciate this post.

"Is it above my knowledge or is it something I should and could post something on? That is the question."

I try and ask myself that question posed by goodgrouper everytime I am ready to hit that submit reply button. I usually realize that I do not know enough to respond and hit the back button

But hey I admit my shortcomings and while I try and police myself I understand that there are others here who will call BS if I say something really stupid. If I am wrong I hope that I have enough character to realize my mistake and try to make amends as goodgrouper did in his own post. "This requires that we must keep an open mind, and not be afraid to admit when we're wrong." That is called practicing what you preach.

I agree that testing is the measure of accuracy and really appreciate all of the posters here that share thier results. I have learned a lot on this site but the main thing I have learned is how little I know. If it were not for my mentor I would have probably thrown my hands up a long time ago. Whoever suggested finding one was spot on. Like Boss Hoss I found a good one and feel that a mentor is the number one thing you can do to increase your knowledge....even more than visiting site.
I admit that I know just enough to be dangerous.....but dangerous at ever extending distances.
Unread 05-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member
"Is it above my knowledge or is it something I should and could post something on? That is the question."

I agree wholeheartedly. There are a few here who are exceptionally skilled. A few of those are inclined to be helpful. Always posting informative, accurate info. However there are an abundance of folks who take it upon themselves to iether refute this accurate info or post misleading, incorrect ideas as though they were posting facts. Then, these folks defend thier innacurate positions passionately and vehemently.

It sure makes for some confusing reading. Sometimes the info is simply erroneous. Sometimes, it's costly or dangerous.

Sure be nice if folks didn't post speculation, superstition, or stupidity as fact!

The place is gettin' crowded.
Unread 05-06-2008, 08:27 AM
Platinum Member
Well as with the internet you have quite a few experts who have read a few articles and spent a little time behind the trigger but then there are those as mentioned previously who attempt to take it to a different level. There is nothing wrong with being a casual shooter but don't try and represent yourself as something else.

It is a well known fact that by increasing your diligence and the adherence to proper techniques and methods it is difficult to get to the next level. I know enough about this sport to know that I have a long way to go as do most folks --- but I never give up because "winning isn't everything but losing sucks" as my mentor is so fond of saying.
The Truth Is Not Always Good For Business!!