Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > General Discussion

General Discussion Must wear red or OD green socks to participate. I can't see your socks, please be honest.

Accubond or Ballistic Tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 01:30 AM

Accubond or Ballistic Tip?

I have always used Ballistic Tip since I can remember (I am 24 and started shooting around 8) but I keep hearing everyone talk about accubond and was curious as to what it is and what everyone prefers for deer and so on. Would you use one for deer and a different for larger game or just stick with one of the two for all your hunting needs? Any advice and input would be helpful.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

Re: Accubond or Ballistic Tip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSquall View Post
I keep hearing everyone talk about accubond and was curious as to what it is and what everyone prefers for deer and so on.
They are an accurate bonded hunting bullet with a ballistic tip made by Nosler.
Nosler AccuBond Bullets

Check out Nosler's bullet types.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams

Last edited by justgoto; 09-18-2009 at 05:27 AM. Reason: added another link
Old 09-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

The accubonds tend to have a higher bc for the same weight in a ballistic tip. The accubond is meant to penetrate w/ mushroom type expansion. The ballistic tip is more of a fragmenting type of bullet or at least more rapid and violent type of expansion.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

This is tough!

I shot a WT deer at under 100 yards with a 150 grain SST 3150 fps MV. The bullet entered the left front shoulder hitting ribs only, it exited the right rear ham.

This was recovered under the hide on the offside ham:

While the results were good, I was worried about a shot from the OPPOSITE direction and whether I would like the results.

I switched to the 150 NAB and have not been disappointed BUT have not had the same shot!

I did discharge my rifle into a tree @ about 30 yards and recovered it in the tree next to it about 3 yards further on.
Here are the pictures:

Tree with can for size comparison

Base shot:

Nose shot:

edge.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

I'd choose the AB, simply because I'd rather have that type constuction and not need it than need it and not have it.

Chris
Old 09-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

You wont' find a much better white tail bullet than the bt. In 270 and up they are certainly made for midsized game. Lower calibers is different. I'd never use one in 24 or 22 cal.

I shoot the AB simply because it shoots better in my rifle. I wish the bt's shot a little better because the ab's are a little spendy!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

In the 270 cal, the problem is that the 140 is the NAB and the 150 is the ballistic tip.

One would think it should be the other way around.

I've shot several muleys at under 200 yds with the ballistic tip and am well pleased with the results. Shots have be perpendicular through the chest/shoulder and diagonally from front of hip to offside front shoulder. All have been bang flow with minimal meat damage.

Accuracy is very good in my WIN and AM with either. I've settled on 150 Ballistic tips for the AM and 140 NABs for the WIN at 3450 and 3200 fps MV respectively. So far so good.

Experience with Ballistic Tips has been similar to Edge's with the SST but have always collected the deer.